locked
Client cache size reverts to default RRS feed

  • Question

  • (SCCM 2012 SP1 with CU5)

    I've used a powershell script to set the client cache size to 20GB, using get-wmiobject and the Put() function.  I've deployed this to a test collection of PCs using a CI with remediation, and it's both checking and remediating correctly.

    However, while the 'compliance' is reported at near 100%, when manually checking the clients, many have reset to 5120MB. This affects both Windows 7 and 8.x based clients.

    To take one client specifically, at the time of writing this the CI reports it ran and remediated at 11:45am - it is now 8pm, and the cache is back to 5120.

    Triggering the CI to evaluate again sets the cache to 20GB (verified via get-wmiobject), but I'm sure if I check again at some point tomorrow it will have reverted to 5120 again.

    I can't see any evidence in any client log that indicates what could be causing this.  I've looked into how I can see what has made the change in WMI via the Analytic/Debug logs in Event Viewer, but the tracing available needs to be run at the time the change is made - and I don't know exactly when that is.

    Any ideas?!

    Thanks, Bob


    Edit:  CI is set to evaluate every day at 9am.  Client push properties on primary site now include SMSCACHESIZE=20480, but this is recent change - when the existing clients were installed this was not present so they installed at 5120MB.
    • Edited by Bob.Clarke Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:09 PM Added detail.
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:07 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Changing the value directly in WMI is unsupported. You need to use the UIResource.UIResourceMgr COM object to perform this task on the client side: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc145211.aspx

    PowerShell examples are available at http://www.david-obrien.net/2013/02/07/how-to-configure-the-configmgr-client/


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:52 PM
  • Aha - thanks Jason.

    I had come across both methods but no mention of which was better, or supported!

    Scripts revised.

    Thanks again!

    Bob

    Friday, August 29, 2014 9:26 AM
  • I am seeing this issue on my Windows 10 systems only, it began as soon as I started rolling out 10.0.10240.0 and now 10.0.10586.0, which is limited to IT right now but I'm seeing this on at least 75% of systems. We are running SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 (5.00.8239.1000) and I can find nothing that triggers this, just at some point client health/repair for some reason sets it back to 4,264MB (from the 25% of free disk space that we've been using for many years). All of our Windows 7 systems (we don't have 8 or 8.1) are unaffected?

    Jack

    Monday, December 14, 2015 11:54 AM
  • I am seeing this issue on my Windows 10 systems only, it began as soon as I started rolling out 10.0.10240.0 and now 10.0.10586.0, which is limited to IT right now but I'm seeing this on at least 75% of systems. We are running SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 (5.00.8239.1000) and I can find nothing that triggers this, just at some point client health/repair for some reason sets it back to 4,264MB (from the 25% of free disk space that we've been using for many years). All of our Windows 7 systems (we don't have 8 or 8.1) are unaffected?


    Did you follow Jason suggestion to set your cache size using the correct method?

    Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

    Monday, December 14, 2015 1:55 PM
  • What exactly is the "correct method"? We install all of our clients with hard-coded switches, using this for Windows 7 WDS install;

    DisableSiteOpt=True SMSCacheSize=25 SMSCacheFlags=PercentFreeDiskSpace SMSSiteCode=ABC CCMHttpPort=63773

    And this for Windows 10 OSD (same minus SCCM Site Code);

    DisableSiteOpt=True SMSCacheSize=25 SMSCacheFlags=PercentFreeDiskSpace CCMHttpPort=63773

    As stated, we've got thousands of Windows 7 (and XP before that) which never had an issue since the Advanced Client first provided cache sizing switches. This is new, limited to Windows 10 and goes from 25% free one day to what must be the default of 4,264MB overnight. We will resize using the COM call method, which also has no need for a client restart but the issue really isn't fixing it, the issue is why this is happening...

    Jack



    • Edited by JFetter Monday, December 14, 2015 2:06 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 2:04 PM
  • So to be clear, so your issue is not about setting the cache site with PowerShell and how to do it correctly. It is about your cache size changing. If it is the later, I would suggest creating your own post.


    Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

    Monday, December 14, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Correct, this is about the client re-sizing itself, like I thought the OP initially posted and later only worried about fixing it and if his method was supported, but now see he was always resizing it. I've already posted something new but so far no one has replied, this is something I can re-create easily and only stumbled upon because of the 1511 upgrade and 60% of my machines failing (due to cache reset)...

    Jack


    • Edited by JFetter Monday, December 14, 2015 2:27 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2015 2:26 PM