Site Database Servers and SQL Clusters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have not found any doco. on this particular point throughout TechNet. 

I'm in the process of deploying SCCM 2012 R2 based on our design. The Site Database is hosted on a SQL Server 2012 cluster. Having not used this configuration before I was expecting the Site Server to detect the HA cluster. I have noticed, however that the Site Database Server Role has only been deployed to the the SQL cluster node that was hosting the SQL named instance.

My question is, to facilitate a failover scenario should I also deploy the Site Database Server Role to the rest of the passive SQL cluster nodes?

I haven't tried yet, just thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance,

NSutton

Monday, November 24, 2014 10:12 AM

Answers

• CM12 setup will setup everything, if it has full access to the cluster.

Btw it is generally not recommend to install SQL remote from CM12. Also keep in mind that having a cluster SQL server does not give you HA for CM12.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Proposed as answer by John Marcum Monday, November 24, 2014 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nathan Sutton Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:26 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 12:13 PM

All replies

• Just to double check (because you mentioned "I was expecting the Site Server to detect the HA cluster"): You have to provide the cluster name during the setup. Have you done that?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, November 24, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Hi Torsten,

Yep, absolutely.

The DB has been created successfully and is available via the cluster name and instance. I was expecting to see the site system role installed on each cluster node. Originally I noticed that SCCM was complaining that the SQL database health checks were failing because the SQL Service Broker port was blocked. After creating a firewall exception on the active cluster node I noticed that the remaining cluster nodes did not have that port active. From there I noticed that only 1 of the 3 cluster nodes were set up as Site Database Servers.

Should I simply just create two new site systems, one for each of the remaining 2 SQL cluster nodes?

Thanks!

NSutton

Monday, November 24, 2014 11:31 AM
  • CM12 setup will setup everything, if it has full access to the cluster.

Btw it is generally not recommend to install SQL remote from CM12. Also keep in mind that having a cluster SQL server does not give you HA for CM12.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Proposed as answer by John Marcum Monday, November 24, 2014 1:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nathan Sutton Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:26 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Hi Garth and Torsten,

Finally got to the bottom of this. Our DBAs had created a new instance of SQL in the cluster to support the correct collation string. The reason I was only seeing one node as a Site System was because the DBAs had only added one node into the cluster group supporting the new instance.

As soon as the additional nodes were added SCCM picked that up and created a Site System for each of the new nodes. We did, however hit one problem which the DBAs were able to troubleshoot and resolve.

In this unique situation where additional nodes were added to the cluster there was an issue when trying to fail over the instance to the new nodes. SCCM had created a self-signed Server Authentication certificate on the original SQL cluster node. When the new nodes were added the certificate was present on the new nodes but the new nodes did not have the permissions to read the certificate. When the permissions were updated on each of the new SQL nodes the failover process worked as expected.

To update the permissions the DBAs open the certificates snap-in, selected Local Computer, Viewed the Personal certificate store, right-clicked on the SCCM Self Signed certificate and selected "Manage Private Keys". This presents a Permissions dialogue box were the rights to read the private key can be changed.

Garth, I appreciate that a SQL cluster does not provide HA for SCCM 2012. This is just our design to provide HA for the database.

Thanks for your help.

NSutton

Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:26 PM