none
Save bitlocker recovery key to microsoft account other than boot drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Asked to post question here from Community Forum.

Hi

May be a quick question because I'm keep getting error that saying could not save recovery key to Microsoft account.

I'm logging to Microsoft account and verified.

I have no problem backing up the key for OS drive.

On external or USB drive, micro SD on back on Surface of or instance, "save to Microsoft Account" option papers but it never success for those. 

Is that even possible?  Well, there is option available for start.

Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:32 AM

All replies

• Well Ben,

Thanks for posting.

Could you please share us a screenshot here regarding the error message you mentioned and the related drive information?

Reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh831507.aspx#BKMK_KeyManagement

The recovery password and recovery key for an operating system drive or a fixed data drive can be saved to a folder, saved to one or more USB devices, saved to your Microsoft account online, or printed.

For removable data drives, the recovery password and recovery key can be saved to a folder, saved to your Microsoft account online, or printed. By default, you cannot store a recovery key for a removable drive on a removable drive.

A domain administrator can additionally configure Group Policy to automatically generate recovery passwords and store them in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) for any BitLocker-protected drive.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 24, 2015 11:08 AM
  • This screenshot is for an HP 750 GB USB-3.0-drive but it is the same as with any other USB stick e. g..
    It happens when encrypting the device or afterwards if you go to "manage Bitlocker", and try to save the recovery key. Sorry, German Windows version :-)
    And it occurs only for removable media, i. e. Bitlocker-To-Go.
    The Windows 10 notebook (Dell Vostro) is not domain-joined but a very simple stand alone system. The user has administrative rights and is logged on normally with the Microsoft account email address. All (!) safety settings are "Express Settings" - nothing blocked, no "killing" apps such as CCCleaner etc. ever run. No other problems on this machine. Saving the key to a file works.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:19 AM
  • Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your update and apologize for the late reply.

I think save to Microsoft Account should be the option available on the system that the MS account has been logged on, not for the Windows To Go, as the Windows To Go is considered as a new system.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I am not using Windows To Go but BitLocker To Go, i. e. encryption of removable devices.
    And saving their recovery keys worked under Windows 8.1 without issues.

Kind regards

Oliver

Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Oh,

Apologize for the misunderstanding.

I will help to collect this at my side.

Regards

Friday, September 11, 2015 9:25 AM
  • I've got the same error message, how can I solve it? My Computer is online and logged-in into my Microsoft account.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:09 PM
  • I have the same problem, too. My machine is signed in to a Microsoft account with administrator privileges, and I'm trying to save the recovery key generated by Bitlocker To Go for a USB flash drive. I get the message "Can't save to  your Microsoft account". I see that it's now two months since Michael said that he'd be looking into this. Has there been no progress?
    • Edited by HPG1 Monday, November 16, 2015 2:44 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 2:42 AM
  • Hi HPG1,

Apologize for any misunderstandings, and sorry to hear the situation.

What I mean is that, I have tried to collect this and feedback to Microsoft at my side. Regarding how the process is going on, apologize to say that I currently have no idea.

For the current situation, please consider submit this through the Windows Feedback Tool, which would have the product team to receive this directly.

Regards

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Oh -- sorry -- I misunderstood. I thought you had some official role in Microsoft. Sure -- I'll do as you suggest.

Cheers

Monday, November 16, 2015 2:31 PM
  • same message here "Can't save to  your Microsoft account".

what is status on this?

thanks

Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:49 PM
  • The solution is in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3264e7c6-2aab-478a-9668-56e58ec791d5/cannot-save-external-drives-bitlocker-keys-to-microsoft-account?forum=win10itprosecurity&prof=required

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:15 AM