none
System Center 2012 SP1 & Hyper-V: unable to back up virtual machines RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon, everyone.

I have a Hyper-v system running Windows Server 2012 R2 with an install of DPM 2012 SP1 (4.1.3465.0) and I'm finding it impossible to back up other virtual machines on the same domain.

On the DPM Server I do not have the hyper-v role installed since a hypervisor is already running, but I do have the Windows Server Backup feature installed and the DPM agent is installed on the host system.  This DPM system backs up a file server daily without any difficulty, and DPM sees the agent installed on the host 'above' it without any problem.  If I do a check under management, everything comes back as 'ok,' but when I attempt to create a backup of virtual machines, things go rather pear shaped.

Simply put, I can go through the motions of creating a backup of a single test virtual machine called print using disk instead of tape and run through the wizard.  Disk space is allocated on our iscsi target and I get a green check mark.  All seems well, but there's only 100 or so MB used on the target for this system.  After a few minutes, though, or if I run a consistency check, the green arrow turns to a yellow ! and then a red X almost instantly. 

Print is a Windows Server 2012 r2 box with 4gb of ram and a 40gb hard drive.  There is a little over 2.5TB of space available on our target, unallocated, so I don't think space is an issue. 

The text of the error: 
    The replica of Online\print on SERVER is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID: 104)

My google-fu is failing me.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Edited by TAMU Tech Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:09 PM