Restoring Sharepoint 2007 Backup to Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I read all the message boards I could find but could not figure out my issue.  I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place so if it isn't, my apologies.  I backed up our test 2007 sharepoint database using the backup utility, and am trying to restore it on a fresh build of Sharepoint 2010 RC running Server 2008 R2 64-bit, but am getting the following error upon trying to restore the backup:

Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SharedResourceProvider' to type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup.IBackupRestore'.

All services are started, I successfully ran the configuration wizard, and I ran all patches.  I copied the backup to the local Sharepoint machine, so it is not trying to back up via a network share, and the account I am using has full rights to the folder.  When I put in the path, it does see the backup and has all the information pertaining to it, so it sounds like the rights are correct, but when I click next, I receive the above error.  Was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.  Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:39 PM

Answers

• You cannot do this. SP2010 backup/restore is not designed to take 2007 backup.

You should use sql server management studio to backup the database and attach it to SharePoint 2010 farm, then mount the database to a web application. Upgrade would be triggered if the content database patch level is above 2007 sp2.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:32 PM

All replies

• You cannot do this. SP2010 backup/restore is not designed to take 2007 backup.

You should use sql server management studio to backup the database and attach it to SharePoint 2010 farm, then mount the database to a web application. Upgrade would be triggered if the content database patch level is above 2007 sp2.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Thanks Jie.  Our Sharepoint server is virtualized so luckily I took a snapshot before installing a fresh copy of Server 2008, so I can revert back to the snapshot and back it up properly.  I will research backing up the database using SQL Server Management Studio.

Thanks again for your help.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 1:46 AM