none
Schedule project from start to finish, but some milestones should be finish to start RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so I guess the title immidiately grasps the vagueness of the problem. I have a project which I normally schedule from start to finish date, but within the schedule, I have 3 test moments. These test moments are in predefined slots, so they have a 'must finish on' constraint.

Now, I have scheduled the tasks before the test slot with a SF dependency, so for example prototyping should end before testing starts. This is because when a task decreases in duration, I would like it to start later, instead of shifting the test slot or leave lag time in between.

My problem now is, that when I link let's say task A and B, saying task A has predecessor B SF, it still shows me a gantt chart where task B starts and finishes way before task A finishes.

Does anyone know what I can improve to get the overview I want? The reason I don't want to put the whole project in finish to start schedulling, is because after testing, there are some projectphases that typically require start to finish scheduling.

Best,

Barbara

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:49 AM

All replies

• Barbara,

First of all have you considered using the Deadline field to better highlight test slots? It's a way of putting a "stake" in the ground without setting any constraints.

However, I'm not sure I see the problem you are having. If I set up task A and B as you describe, It get the following result.

As the duration of "build prototype" changes, the finish date is locked to the test slot milestone so the start date of the "build prototype" moves as required to maintain the test slot date.

Am I missing something?

John

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:45 PM
  • John,

Thank you for your response. When I have just these two tasks it works for me too. When I add a predecessor of build prototypes, it takes that as the lead and shifts prototypes to finish after test slot starts.

I am unable to copy the printscreen here, but it is something like this:

1. Request | 1w | start aug 25 '17 | finish aug 31 '17 | As soon as possible

2. Prototyping | 2 wks | start 1 sep '17 | finish sep 14 '17 | Predecessors 1FS, 3SF | as soon as possible

3. Testing | 3 wks | Aug 25 '17 | finish sep 14 '17 | No predecessor | must start on aug 25 '17

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Barbara,

Yes that will be true if the Project Start date is not early enough to allow the Request and Prototyping tasks to shift to the left based on the testing constraint.

In this example of your scenario I set the Project Start date to 8/1/17. That's not early enough to fit the spans of Request and Prototype before testing starts, if for example, the prototyping takes 15 days instead of 10 days.

However, if the Project Start Date is earlier (e.g. 7/24/17), now a longer prototype span can be accommodated.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, August 25, 2017 2:57 PM