How to create a "New Folder" on this Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I just took over the position of Executive Chef and have access to this computer. I cant figure out how to create a New Folder.

The old Chef suffered a Heart Attack and on this computer where you are supposed to click for a New Folder; its gray and un-clickable. Ctl-Shift-N does not work either. Please help...I kinda got thrown to the wolves here.

ChefTizzle187

Monday, March 5, 2018 5:35 PM

All replies

• Is this computer on a Domain or is it just a stand alone? It seems their may be a local policy or group policy locking things down and preventing you from being able to create a new folder or write files to a location. You obviously are logged in with an account that has restricted access. Do you have a network administrator or did the previous person in charge handle the management of this computer? If you do not know the administrator password you may have to recover that. If you have a network administrator I would contact them for assistance, otherwise where are some things you can do.

Once you are in as administrator you can change your access permissions. Here is how you can reset the Administrator password on a PC. 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2988539/windows/if-you-forgot-your-windows-admin-password-try-this.html

Here is a way you can change the local computer policy but you have kind of have to know what you are doing. Is this Windows 7, 8, 10? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/how-to-configure-security-policy-settings

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

Monday, March 5, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Hi ChefTizzle187,

I would like to confirm:
    (1) did you log-in the computer using an account with administrator?
    (2) where (which drive, which folder) did you try to create a new folder?

Regards,

Ashidacchi >> http://hokusosha.com/

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try to use other user account to see if the issue still occur?

Is there any change before this issue?

If yes, please revert back the changes to see the results.

Please try to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

Please boot into safe mode to see if the issue still occur.

Here are steps to enter safe mode.

1. Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

2. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight the Safe Mode and press Enter.

In addition, please check for and install any available updates. (Type Check for updates in search box , then select Check for updates. )

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 7:18 AM
  • Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:32 AM