none
Project Online hasn't shown up for a couple of days - any options RRS feed

• Question

• I've signed up for the Project Online trial, added a license, and patiently have waited a couple of days for it to show up. Anyone have any ideas how to get the darn thing to show up?

Rob W.

• Edited by Rob_W_ Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:19 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure, since I purchased my license years ago. I assume the app will just appear after creating a Project Web App instance. See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-another-Project-Online-site-D44B5A70-3DF3-417E-BAD8-3021E3A4C896?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1 for a description.

More information can be found at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/#ID0EAABAAA=Online

Regards
    Barbara

Just a side note: The app icon will always point to the first instance you created. So if you want to work first on a test instance, I suggest do create 2 Project Online sites: The first one with /PWA - and just leave it as it is. Afterwards create your test site, e.g. PWA_T. The app icon will always link to /PWA, so during a potential test phase, you will need to adjust URL manually when using app icon.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:27 AM
  • Hello Barbara,

Yes, I did see this answer already as you have posted it in other threads. The problem is that Project Online is not instantiating, not that I can't create a site. I do not have the option to create a "Private Site Collection with Project Web App". I would guess that this is a symptom of the provisioning issue -  I don't have project yet, so can't create a Project project!

Very frustrating to have no control over the installation of Project Online, can't manually force the install, can't reinstall, can't repair. I've tried deallocating and reallocating the license, no help there either.

Rob W.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Hi Rob,

when you signed up for a Project Online trial - did you do that in an existing tenant? Or ist it completely new? To create a "Private Site Collection with Project Web App", you need to go to the SharePoit ADmin Center. When you log in and click on the symbol on the upper left corner - do you see an "Admin" there? (I have just removed most of my icons)

When "Admin" is there, and you click on it, you should be able to find at the bottom SharePoint below "Admin Center". Is this there?

If this is there, can you find "New" - "Private ..."

Please let us know, from what point your system looks different, if you can't find what I am seeing.

Or is just the last one missing?

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Just the last one. Existing tenant.

If I check my subscriptions, I have Project Online Essentials. If I check my account, I have been assigned a license. The Project icon is not available on my home screen.

Rob W.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

you are the tenant administriator, I assume?

I can think about two reasons for missing option - and I think it is the first one:

• You are not a tenant administrator, so not allowed to create new site collection.

1. Or the license type is the reason (but I was not aware that tenant adminstrators do need a Project Online license at all to CREATE an instance ....):Project Online Essentials is for Team Members only. License names have changed recently, so I am not sure what license is required to create an instance (site collection). But I assume you need Project Online Premium. This license is required at least for one user anyway, to maintain resources.

Two test my asumption for reason 1, I have just removed my license from my account to see if I am still allowed to create new instances. This license change will take a few minutes, so I will let you know later on.

Barbara

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

sorry, my brain seems a bit slow on Saturdays ..

OK, the missing license sill not stop you from creating instance. BUT: Due to Project Essentials licence, the initial instance was probably not created. I suggest to contact support from Admin - Support to get the first instance created or to get confirmation about wrong instance. I can't tell you more, unfortunately - since I did all this neraly 3 years ago.

Sorry!!!!
    Barbara

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Good luck with support.

I have had a customer buy Project online 2 weeks ago.  Still can not access the Project site!!

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:59 PM
  • I was able to resolve the issue with O365 support.

There must be one Project Online Premium or Professional license in your tenant before you can subscribe to Project Online Essentials. Standalone Essentials doesn't do anything.

Rob W.

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Hi Rob,

thanks for your update. So my suspision regarding licenses was correct.

Success with your trial!
    Barbara

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:07 AM