none
Certified bug: MAP 9.2 cannot detect Exchange 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a very frustrating problem in using the MAP toolkit to inventory my network. It detects SQL 2005 with no problem, but no way, no how, will it report that I have an Exchange server, even though I have the option checked, the server selected, and the proper credentials entered. It always comes up with "0" for Exchange servers. I have run the Microsoft Best Practices analyzer tool for Exchange, and it passes all the scans -- including permissions and connectivity -- with no problems reported.  Is MAP 9.2 even capable of detecting Exchange 2003?  If so, what's the secret?
    • Edited by ArtSnob Monday, April 13, 2015 9:12 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2015 4:33 PM

Answers

• I finally made contact with the right Microsoft engineer about this problem.  Early in our dialogue, he acknowledged replicating the problem:

"I have one of my engineers tested the question on Exchange 2003, and it is indeed an option that does not work any more (as there are others …)"

But eventually via the logs we discovered what the problem was: the "all computers credentials" account names have to be in fully qualified FQDN notation -- "domain\administrator," not just "administrator".

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:30 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:30 AM

All replies

• Stated another way:

1. Has anyone ever successfully detected Exchange 2003 running on Server 2003 using MAP 9.2?  If so, what settings did you use?
    2. How can the Best Practices Analyzer for Exchange detect and analyze Exchange 2003 whereas MAP 9.2 can't even detect that it's installed? 

Saturday, April 4, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Is this issue really beyond the ken of all the Microsoft experts in this forum?  I thought it was pretty straightforward.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:27 PM
  • I can manually connect to   \\mail-ad\root\cimv2\applications\exchange using WBEMTEST and enumerate the classes with no problem.  But MAP 9.2 -- using the same credentials -- cannot.  So, combined with nobody being able to point out an instance where MAP 9.2 has been able to detect Exchange 2003, the answer to my question can only be a definitive "NO."  This is a genuine, bona-fide BUG in MAP 9.2.

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Friday, April 10, 2015 6:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ArtSnob Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by ArtSnob Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:21 PM
    • Edited by ArtSnob Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ArtSnob Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:30 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2015 6:38 PM
  • I finally made contact with the right Microsoft engineer about this problem.  Early in our dialogue, he acknowledged replicating the problem:

"I have one of my engineers tested the question on Exchange 2003, and it is indeed an option that does not work any more (as there are others …)"

But eventually via the logs we discovered what the problem was: the "all computers credentials" account names have to be in fully qualified FQDN notation -- "domain\administrator," not just "administrator".

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:30 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:30 AM