Error Message when attempting to "Open in Word" through SharePoint.com RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Word document on SharePoint.com.  Actually, it is on my company's online SharePoint site.

I go to "Open in Word" a document and I get this error message after receiving a preceding error message that tells me that "the URL is too long."  "To open this document, your computer must be running a supported version of Microsoft Word and a browser that supports opening files directly from the Office Web Apps."

I own Word 2010; just purchased it and downloaded it a week ago.

I can "Edit in Browser," but I cannot save a copy to my computer for the reason stated above.

I am running Windows Vista

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

How much is the length of the url when you are opening it?

There is a limitation in it so that might be playing role over here, to verify this save it in document library with very short URL and check if it works for you.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Hi Nathaniel,

Did you mean that you used the SharePoint online form office 365?

There is another post with this similar issue, it suggests use the IE 32-bit version if you are using IE 64-bit version, and then check the result,

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/176/t/11696.aspx

For more quesions about the SharePoint online, you can ask in office 365 forum

Thanks 

Regards, Daniel
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Yup, change the document title to something with less characters. The SharePoint URL, and the document title all need to equal less than 255 characters.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:11 PM