none
Cannot Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I don't have the Windows 10 upgrade icon in the taskbar. I tried the troubleshooting etc but nothing helps. I then found an ISO file of Windows 10 and tried to install it. For the product key I entered my Windows 7 product key but the installer of windows 10 refused it. At this point I am at a loss how to upgrade. I have the following Windows 7:

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
    Product Part No.: X15-39644
    Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media
    Product ID: 00426-292-....

I believe I am qualifying for the upgrade to Windows 10 so I am not sure why this doesn't work. As a side note, my system had some issues that resulted in uninstalling IE and instead I use Chrome. When I try to re-install IE11 it tells me I have a newer version which isn't true as I don't have IE installed at all. My system was messed up for a while but I was waiting for Windows 10. But one would assume that I can use my Windows 7 CD key or how can I upgrade to Windows 10 from scratch?

Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your current situation, you can follow the method below to upgrade your system to Windows 10.

1. Reinstall Windows 7 and activate it.

2. Checking Windows update to make sure Windows 7 was upgrade to be latest.

3. Using Windows Media Creation tool to download Windows 10, then upgrade current Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:10 AM

All replies