What happens during sql startup ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

What happens during SQL Server service startup ?
    Basically, i am looking at step by step process of how sql server brings up the instance with all sp_configure settings,startup parameters etc..

Thanks in Advance.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Did you checked SQL server errorlog. Its the best place to see how SQL server starts and what all processes goes.

sp_readerrorlog.

Remember some startup process may vary as per configuration.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

• Proposed as answer by Prashanth Jayaram Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Manu_vmr Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you checked SQL server errorlog. Its the best place to see how SQL server starts and what all processes goes.

sp_readerrorlog.

Remember some startup process may vary as per configuration.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

• Proposed as answer by Prashanth Jayaram Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Manu_vmr Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:43 PM
  • You don’t have to restart SQL Server unless you have changed service properties or already set startup traces and you want that to take effect immediately. Restarting the server is probably one of the most damaging things for performance as it throw away statistics collected in the operational stats DMVs (i.e. SQL Server resets the counters to 0 each time the SQL Server service is restarted) and so on.

Anyways to answer the question always when you start up SQL Server it goes via different recovery phases so for detail reading check out this link, I hope this might help you in finding out your answer 

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-13849

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that has answered your question as it it very relevant to other community members having the same problem.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Error log would be your starting point to answer your questions.

Refer the below 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7af5b0a2-8a62-40a0-a93b-f058484e2041/sql-startup-what-happens

--Prashanth

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Manu this is strange as per link posted by Prashanth you asked same question in 2011 and still the same question have you really not figured out. It seems like you dont read posts and just ask question for ready made answers if this is attitude its really bad and you wont learn anything.

If answer was not satisfactory why you did not unmarked it, Let me tell you, you don't have command to find each and every process going in SQL server when it starts you are informed in need to know basis.

I guess its totally a waste reponding to your question or to anybody who comes to forum for ready made answers

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Hi Shanky, its just I was busy with other work. I could check my email notifications.

Coming back , to ur question that I might have posted same question twice, I might have forgot or I might have not got a STATISFACTORY answer!

If it is a repeated one, I apoligize. my bad.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:42 AM