KB2718704 causing Windows Explorer to hang RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

My organization was in the process of deploying KB2718704 to all Windows platforms world-wide, but we have frozen the deployment due to a reported problem with it on most Windows XP clients at a small satellite site.  On these machines, Windows Explorer is freezing up (either when accessed via "My Computer" or by other means such as trying to save a new file).  Killing and re-starting explorer.exe via the task manager doesn't resolve the problem; a full restart is required once the machine is in this state.  

The support techs at the site were able to find a work-around which involves resetting TCP/IP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357).  This is not a scalable solution, however, especially if you consider the possibility of a similar problem occurring on a production server.  Management will not allow the patch to continue deploying until we've determined root cause.

My understanding is that all KB2718704 does is to add 3 compromised CA certificates into the "Untrusted Certificates" CAPI container.  Am I correct about that, or were there some code changes made by the KB as well?  Understanding exactly what this KB does would be extremely helpful in determining whether or not the patch truly was the cause of the problems experienced at the satellite site, and to convince management that continuing to deploy the patch is not high risk.

Monday, July 2, 2012 1:55 PM