none
What is this sequence number generated?

Question

• Hi,

We have configured our exchange server to send out email to another mail server. So prior to an email getting delivered in the room mailbox. We've created an smtp send connector, and set the target ip address for this requirement.

Here is a screenshot of smtp logs taken from the target server...

Notice the highlighted line. The room mailbox address is actually 21.12P1567@contoso.com

However that is not what appears in a RCPT handshake. Why does it happen like this? What is that sequence number getting prefixed prior to the mail id. Plus, why is the mail id saying <machine_name>.contoso.com as the domain?

Any setting to change this? Hope I've posted this in the correct forum. If not please show me the correct forum.

I am a bundle of mistakes intertwined together with good intentions

Friday, January 13, 2017 6:23 PM

All replies

• Please explain what you mean by "We have configured our exchange server to send out email to another mail server."

In general, the e-mail address is specified by the client when the message is composed.  Without specifics on how the message is composed, we can't tell you why the address is that way.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, January 14, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi Ed, we have configured user mailboxes and room mailboxes in exchange.

I am not sure of exact mail flow. Here is how I think it works. When a user creates a meeting request, exchange internally will deliver an email (which is similar to the meeting request) in each room mailbox (i.e. rooms part of the request).

We have configured the hub transport send connector such that prior to this delivery, we send the email message to another mail server.

This is all. However, on the target mail server we are unable to identify which room mailbox the message came from. It is because the mailbox id is altered.

We are unable to understand why the mailbox id is altered. Is there some specific logic behind it? Or some exchange setting?

Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:01 AM
  • I'm afraid that I don't understand enough about your configuration to give you any useful advice.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, January 16, 2017 12:12 AM
  • Hi,

This is a non-issue I guess. It seems the room mailbox ids were "set" that way as per our requirement.

Friday, February 10, 2017 2:21 AM