secure email using self signed certificates in outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Using outlook 2007, I want to send encrypted email to and from a client. Although technically speaking I do not need my own certificate for this, outlook nonetheless requires me to have my own digital ID. I believe this bug is known and I hope that it will be solved in the next update.

Now, to work around this bug, I generated a self signed certificate containing a 1024 bits rsa public key using openssl. I now have my own self signed certificate and the matching private key.

in outlook, I go to tools --> trust center --> email security and try to import my certificate/private key, but it is impossible to import a *.crt file here. When I convert my certificate to a *.pfx file, a format which is supported by outlook, I get a general error when I try to import it:

"An error occured while trying to import security information"

I'm running out of options here.. anybody succeed in sending an encrypted email using a recipients public key/certificate in outlook, without purchasing a commercial digital ID? I can't imagine I am the only one requiring this functionality and that it is impossible.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:36 AM