SCVMM SSP 2.0 Placing a VM on a specific CSV RRS feed

• Question

• In our Hyper-V environment we’ve got several different Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) with different tiers of storage attached.

Ok maybe I missed it, but, I cannot find where/how to tell a VM to deploy to a specific CSV using the SSP 2.0. I would think that it would be defined somewhere in the Infrastructure, either at the Service Level or the Service Role level.

Any help in understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

In SSP2.0, You can attach Host Group (HG1) to a Service. So whenever a VM is created then it will be placed on host that gives highest rating under host group (HG1).  Placement logic of VM is managed by SCVMM as per the placement path that you configure on host machine properties in SCVMM.

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by Yogesh C Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joe Kipp Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Maybe I asked the question incorrectly….

Ok, so I have a host group with 10 nodes, there are three CSV’s available on each host.  I would like to create templates that specify different CSV’s so that a business unit can specify that they would like slow, fast or faster storage and pay different “costs” for each tier of storage.  I cannot see how to do this in SSP 2.0.  Is it possible?

Thanks

Joe

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:46 AM