none
How to set Windows Live Mail as a default mail client using command prompt. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to set Windows Live Mail as a default mail client. I know this can be done manually. But how can I do this in automated way, or is there any registry setting by which i can do that.

Thanks

Abhishek

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Abhishek,

If you want to set Windows Live Mail as a default program by registry, the following steps can be used as a reference.

1. Click Start, copy and paste regedit in the Start Search bar and then click Enter.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

3. Right click Mail key and select Export to make a backup.

4. Double click Default in the right pane.

5. Type Windows Live Mail as the value data.

6. Click OK.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Abhishek,

If you want to set Windows Live Mail as a default program by registry, the following steps can be used as a reference.

1. Click Start, copy and paste regedit in the Start Search bar and then click Enter.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

3. Right click Mail key and select Export to make a backup.

4. Double click Default in the right pane.

5. Type Windows Live Mail as the value data.

6. Click OK.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi thanks..

This solves my proble.

I have one more question. If i Want to make Mail app (metro app) as default mail client, then how this can b achieved.

Abhishek

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Abhishek,

You are welcome, about this question, in Windows 8.1 system, we could set default program to achieve it.

Just like these pictures below, please have a try.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Is this can be done using command prompt or by registry?

Abhishek

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Hi Abhishek,

I find a case talks about the similar demand as you, let’s study it together.

http://superuser.com/questions/29717/associate-a-file-type-with-a-specific-program

In my opinion, FTYPE command is suitable, maybe it can give you some prompt.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:43 AM