none
Remote Server Not Accessible - Remote Procedure Call Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering if someone can help me out with this.  I have my Windows 7 Enterprise 64 SP1 box on a domain.  Our corporate office setup a 2008 R2 SP1 print server and created a few queues on it.  When I try to go to start and then type in the \\servername I get \\servername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The remote procedure call failed.  When I try to access the same server from an XP SP3 machine it opens up fine using my same credentials. I have also tried this from another user's machine who has 7 Enterprise x64, whose machine was built differently than mine and I can get to it fine from that system too.  Any ideas what I am missing here? We run McAfee here and I've tried stopping all the services, and played around with a bunch of other things too, so far to no avail.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• I can't think of any off hand that would restrict just one resource - that's not to say there aren't though.  Here's what you can do to check the Services:

Note that you must be logged in as a Domain Admin or have Local Admin privileges on the machines.

Start up two instances of services.msc.

On one of them connect to one of the Windows 7 machines that is working properly.  The other leave connected locally.  

Now go down the list and make sure the services on your machine match the services on the working machine.  If they don't, change them so that they do.  Pay particular attention to the Server and Workstation services.  Also the Remote Procedure Call and RPC Endpoint Mapper services.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:16 PM

All replies

• hello

change the workgroup name and try

it connect.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Forgot to mention that I am on a domain as is the remote server, I did try dropping myself off and readding and still getting the same error...
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Can you PING the server and get a response?  Try by both name and IP address.  If there's no response or the response seems to come from somewhere besides the server you're trying to reach something may be misconfigured in your network settings.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:00 PM
  • I can ping the IP and the DNS name and I get a response, I've also tried going to start and typing \\ip-address and get the same error, I've been through all the network settings and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm able to hit any other server on our network this way, this is the first one I've had an issue with.  I thought maybe it was a permission setting on this particular server but everyone else around me can get to it, and i've tried my credentials from other pc's and have been able to get to it so it definately appears to be this one machine.  Anything in particular in network settings i should look for?  Or is there some service or something I need to have running in order to hit a 2008 R2 box that I am missing in 7 ?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Okay, let me state the facts again, just to make sure I have them straight:

You can ping the server by name and by IP and get the correct response (name returns the correct IP and IP returns the correct name.)

You can connect to the resource from any other machine - XP or Win 7 - using the same credentials and it works properly.

You can connect to resources on any other server from your machine and it works properly, but this one resource on this one server gives you the error.

If this is all true it's probably not a network configuration error (I suspected a DNS issue, but apparently not.)  Some other things you may want to check/try:

Turn off the Windows Firewall via the Security Center - do not stop/disable the firewall service itself or bad things may happen to your network connectivity.

If access is restricted to the resource via Computer (not User) security groups make sure your PC (not you) is member of any required groups (ie. Accounting PCs, Engineering PCs, etc.)

Last resort - unjoin and then rejoin your PC from the domain - there may be a security entry in AD somewhere that's flaky.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Yes to all of the above statements, we have domain level group policy that automatically turns off the windows firewall, and pretty much all of its settings are controlled through that too. My PC is in the same container as others that can access the server, and it has all the same groups as those too. I've also dropped and rejoined the domain already too and still no go.  Is there any service running that may cause this behavior, or one not running for that matter that may cause this?  Or are there some Windows features I didn't enable that need to be turned on in add remove features?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:50 PM
  • I can't think of any off hand that would restrict just one resource - that's not to say there aren't though.  Here's what you can do to check the Services:

Note that you must be logged in as a Domain Admin or have Local Admin privileges on the machines.

Start up two instances of services.msc.

On one of them connect to one of the Windows 7 machines that is working properly.  The other leave connected locally.  

Now go down the list and make sure the services on your machine match the services on the working machine.  If they don't, change them so that they do.  Pay particular attention to the Server and Workstation services.  Also the Remote Procedure Call and RPC Endpoint Mapper services.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Did you find the fix for this? i have windows 10 pro and server 2008r2doing the same thing

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:19 PM