none
Account Picture Before Logon on Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I have been using my Google-Fu to the best of my ability and have come up empty handed so far. Well, not empty handed, but not with the solutions I was looking for.

I have a domain machine that, through GPO, is set to use the default account picture user.bmp. This works fine after a user has logged in for the first time. However, before the first login all I get is an empty frame. Is there a way, short of editing authui.dll, to get our bitmap to show up before the first login?

Thanks,

Patrick

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,<o:p></o:p>

Before you logon, type the following command to get the policy applied faster.<o:p></o:p>

gpupdate / force <o:p></o:p>

Then, you can enter rsop.msc in Search Box to see if the policy has been applied successfully.<o:p></o:p>

I consider the policy is synced during the process when you logon.<o:p></o:p>

Here are a few things that should be mentioned:<o:p></o:p>

1.The policy is located at:<o:p></o:p>

Computer Config > Admin Templates > Control Pannel > User Accounts > Apply the default user logon picture to all users. – Enable<o:p></o:p>

2.The pic should be a BMP file<o:p></o:p>

3. Check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    \Explorer 
    and locate UseDefaultTile registry key
    . Double click on UseDefaultTile and edit the value=1<o:p></o:p>

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 8:48 AM
  • The issue is with a blank frame before login. Our GPO is set to use the default user logon picture to all users, but this seems to only be applied after a user logs in, even though it is a computer policy, not a user policy. Checking rsop.msc requires me to log in, and therefore the picture will show up and the policy looks correct; but I don't know if the policy is being applied before logon, even though it is a computer policy.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

It is a normal scenario since before you logon, the policy may hasn't been replied to the account. And the logon process make the client to connect to the server, which force the policy applied, although it is a computer policy.

Eventually it has been applied and worked, doesn't it? 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Yes, after logging in the policy gets applied. So you're saying that although it is a computer policy - until a domain user logs in, there is no communication with the domain controller to push and apply group policy?
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

Use gpupdate /force command to help you get the policy applied faster. I don't mean there isn't any communication with dc until the user logs in, but it takes a long time.

Windows periodically refreshes group policy settings throughout the network. On client computers, this is done by default every 90 minutes, with a randomized offset of plus or minus 30 minutes. When you make a change to a group policy, you may need to wait two hours (90 minutes plus a 30 minute offset) before you see any changes on the client computers. Even then, some changes will not take effect until after a reboot of the computer.
    You can change the default values by modifying the settings in Administrative Templates. You cannot schedule a specific time to apply a Group Policy Object (GPO) to a client computer. Software installation and folder redirection settings in a GPO are processed only when a computer starts (computer-based policies) or when the user logs in (user-based policies), rather than at a particular time.
    To force your Windows computer to check for group policy changes, you can use the gpupdate /force command to trigger the updating process. This compares the currently applied GPO to the GPO that is located on the domain controllers.

However, if the command gpupdate /force doesn't work, the direct way is to restart your pc.

Friday, October 20, 2017 2:10 AM