none
Emails not receiving from External Domains - Exchange 2010 server DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Need help in receving emails from external domains like gmail,hotmail.. etc

we are in coexistance envioronment (1 exchange server 2003 and 2 Exchange Sever 2010)

EXCH2k3 (EXCH2k3.bits.com)

EXCH2K10dag1(EXCH2K10dag1.bits.com)

EXCH2K10dag2(EXCH2K10dag2.bits.com)

we have configured DAG named "dag.bits.com"

when I send email to user1@bits.com from gmail , we are getting emails.

but

when I send email to user2@dag.bits.com from gmail , we are not getting emails.

can some help me what is wrong ....

On default receive connector I enabled Anynomous access still it is not working.

Plesae help

TheAtulA

Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:11 PM

Answers

• If you have no email ID with a dag.bits.com email address, your system will have nowhere to send the email once it hits your system.  If you add a recipient domain to your forest, that doesn't mean you can send email to that domain if no mailboxes have addresses that match it.  And adding a DAG doesn't add the addresses to the mailboxes in that DAG - a DAG and an accepted domain are totally unrelated.

What is the goal of adding this SMTP domain to your system?  Keep in mind that you can send mail to users in that DAG using their <username>@bits.com address.

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:14 PM

All replies

• The DAG name has nothing to do with the SMTP addresses on your users or that your MX records support - or even for your accepted domains.  Is there an MX record for dag.bits.com?  Is this domain in your accepted domains?  Do any of your mailboxes have User2@dag.bits.com as their email address?  If the answers to any of these is "No", this is why you aren't receiving email as you expect.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Willard Martin. If the users in your domain only have address like User@bits.com, then you need to send message to email address User@bits.com.

Best regards,

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 21, 2014 6:05 AM
  • Thanks,

MX record is configured correctly.

We added that domain to Accepted domains list(dag.bits.com) but our emails id are only user2@bits.com 

I can see that mails landing on Exchange and getting Queued in Queue viewer 

also getting below error

#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found 

TheAtulA

Friday, November 21, 2014 7:05 AM
  • If you have no email ID with a dag.bits.com email address, your system will have nowhere to send the email once it hits your system.  If you add a recipient domain to your forest, that doesn't mean you can send email to that domain if no mailboxes have addresses that match it.  And adding a DAG doesn't add the addresses to the mailboxes in that DAG - a DAG and an accepted domain are totally unrelated.

What is the goal of adding this SMTP domain to your system?  Keep in mind that you can send mail to users in that DAG using their <username>@bits.com address.

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:14 PM
  • we are forwarding emails coming to dag.bits.com to user@bits.com

any solution

TheAtulA

Monday, December 1, 2014 12:48 PM
  • The dag.bits.com domain is extraneous externally (since no mailboxes have this in their email address), but it allows external access to part of your system that should remain hidden.  Why are you exposing it externally?  What is the goal of this configuration?
    Monday, December 1, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Guys I am bit confused.

as I said that we have formed the DAG and the DAG name is dag.bits.com.

and users real smtp address are @bits.com.

now can any help me with correct routing settings, please remember that we are in coexistence scenario.

What ultimately wants to achieve is proper inbond/outbound email flow , if any of the DAG member is down then it should not affect the mailing  

TheAtulA

Monday, December 1, 2014 1:34 PM
  • The DAG name (dag.bits.com) doesn't give any of your mailboxes the @dag.bits.com email address - only an email address policy (in the Org config, Hub Transport section) or a manual process will do that.  Having a mailbox in the DAG will be just that - a mailbox in the DAG; nothing more.  In your implementation, you don't mention any manual processes that add the address-space, so having emails sent to user@dag.bits.com will fail, since the address doesn't exist in your organization.

As for routing, the hub servers will deliver to a mailbox in the DAG using its user@bits.com email address, and emails from those mailboxes will be delivered outbound as well.  The hub server connects directly to the mailbox database for message transfer - it doesn't hand it off to the mailbox server for delivery.  And the hub server checks to see what DAG member hosts the database (which has the active copy of the database) when it picks up messages for outbound delivery or when it receives messages bound for mailboxes on that database.  You don't need any additional addressing to make this happen.

In response to your coexistence requirements, keep in mind that Exchange 2003 hands off to an Exchange 2010 hub server for any messages being delivered between the two systems (and vice versa).  Neither is able to deliver directly to mailboxes on the other system, so each will hand the message off to the hub service on the other system for delivery, and it finds those hub servers in the Windows directory.

Monday, December 1, 2014 1:48 PM