Skype for Business datacenter move RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

currently our complete virtual infrastructure is located in a datacenter (DC1). Now we have to migrate to a new datacenter (DC2). Unfortunately we cannot move the virtual machines due to internal reasons of the hoster.

One of the services to be migrated is Skype for Business 2015. We have a standard frontend pool and one corresponding edge pool. The only thing we do rely on is the SIP domain sip.contoso.com

For sure currently all global DNS entries are pointing to DC1. But both datacenters are connected via Site-to-Site VPN.

What would be the best practise to migrate the services? Uninstall all services and recreate on new machines with new names (excepting the SIP domain) or create a new frontend and edge pool?

I want to find the best solution in order to avoid future business continuity issues by leaving some fragments in AD or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Are there datacenter in the same domain or the different domain?

Based on your description,do you need migrate skype for business environment from one site to another site?

If so ,based on my research, you need deploy a new SFB envrionment,export the pilot users from the old site to the new site,check the pilot users functions if it is normal.if everything are OK, you could move all users to the new sites.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:18 AM
  • Hi Leon,

yes, different sites, same domain.

What do you mean with deploy a new SfB environment? Just a new pool beside the other in the new site?

I'm asking myself how this will work regarding DNS. SfB really relies on DNS and everything is pointing to site 1. For sure it would be easier to use a new SIP domain, so I could easily create the second pool and move the users.

But... I don't really rely on the SfB users, as we don't have much of them for now, I could simply re-enable them and just export their contact lists.

KInd regards,

Chris

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:29 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I would build a new SfB Standard Edition Server, Edge, and Reverse Proxy in DC2.

• Move all of your users from the FE Pool in DC1 to DC2.
    • Move the CMS from the SfB Standard Edition Server in DC1 to DC2.
    • Change internal DNS records to resolve to the SfB Standard Edition Server in DC2.
    • Set the Edge Server in DC1 to use the new FE Pool in DC2 as its next hop pool.
    • As soon as you are able to switch to the Edge in DC2 do it (change all external DNS entries to point to the Edge & Reverse Proxy).
    • Decommission the SfB Standard Edition & Edge pools in DC1.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:33 AM
  • If you are able to afford some downtime and as you mentioned their are less number of users currently. I understand you are unable to move VM's not sure if File copy would work for you since you have site to site VPN.  Please check if this suits your requirement , just a suggestion

1. Schedule 2 downtime windows

I. First to shutdown , change IP address to none - make a local copy of VM

II. Reassign the IP to the production VM and boot it back to production

III. Move the local copy which has no ip address in it DC2

iV. repeat above steps for all VM's

2. During second downtime (having the second DNS record with lower priority ready pointing to DC2)

Change the priority of record when the DC2 is up

1. Make sure the VM's in DC1 are shutdown

2.Boot all the VM's in DC2 and assign the respective IP address's

You would need to consider your organization requirement and verify if it suits you. I had done similar change in the past with just 2 VM machines. It goes with out saying you would need to take backup's and export user data or whatever is necessary to have all backups in place.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:22 PM
  • Hi ,

Do you have some updates?if the reply help to you ,please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:35 AM