none
Credentials options RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A few days ago, I posted the question below in a thread that I thought was appropriate. When I just checked for a reply, I saw that the tread was closed, so I'm starting a new thread.

I am referring to the credential options on the Data Source Settings button on the Power Query tab in Excel

i'm wondering if the credential file can be copied from one computer to another?

that would be a temporary fix for some people, if we knew where the file is and i'ts name.

my other question is if there is a credential file per workbook or if its just one credential file per computer and all workbooks on the computer that are using power query share it.

any help in better understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

tracy

Saturday, January 30, 2016 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Credentials are stored in the User.zip file, which is located in a folder under %LocalAppData% (either "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power Query" for the Power Query add-in or "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Power Query" for Excel 2016). Because of their location only your workbooks will use those credentials: other users on the machine have their own User.zip file which contain their credentials.

Credentials are encrypted with a key specific to the user, so you can only transfer credentials between machines if the same user in the same domain is using both machines.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by LadyTester Friday, February 5, 2016 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Credentials are stored in the User.zip file, which is located in a folder under %LocalAppData% (either "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power Query" for the Power Query add-in or "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Power Query" for Excel 2016). Because of their location only your workbooks will use those credentials: other users on the machine have their own User.zip file which contain their credentials.

Credentials are encrypted with a key specific to the user, so you can only transfer credentials between machines if the same user in the same domain is using both machines.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by LadyTester Friday, February 5, 2016 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:00 AM
  • hi alejandro,

yes, the user is me, so this should work.

thank you so much for clearing this up for me and for providing the path to the file that i need to move, when i set up another laptop for myself.

thanks again

tracy

Friday, February 5, 2016 5:23 PM