none
How Does DPM calculate replica size on Folder Type Object ?? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm protection a computer folder. Its size isn 10 MB, but in DPM console I can see that replica size is 15 GB and recovery point size is 2GB....it's unbelievable !!!!

Our disks are full and we have lots replicas in this situation....

We are wasting a lot of space...because I suppose that this space is allocated and can't be used, not ??

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

A1. Correct, once space is allocated to the Replica volume, that will never get reclaimed even if the data size of the protected volume is reduce.

A2. After reducing retention days the recovery points on the recovery point volume will get pruned and more free space will shown on the recovery point volume.   You can safely shrink the recovery point volume in DPM but not the replica volume.

Although not supported (it could lead to recovery point volume bloat or lost recovery points) you could incrementally shrink the replica volume using Windows disk management or diskpart.exe.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Rivers75 Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:31 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By default DPM will reserve space to protect the whole volume so as you protect more data the replica does not need to be grow.  You can override this by clicking on the calculate button to force DPM to enumerate only the folder(s) selected and re-adjust the replica size based on the reduced requirement.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 6, 2017 4:16 PM
  • 1) The problem I have is we've created the protection groups...I think you can't modify them with less values after creation....not ??

2) Other question: If I create a protection group with 7 retention days and after modify it with 1 retention day....Does DMP free space ?? I suppose that DPM free USED space not ALLOCATED space...not ?? Is there any way to increase unallocated space without add more disks ??

Saturday, January 7, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

A1. Correct, once space is allocated to the Replica volume, that will never get reclaimed even if the data size of the protected volume is reduce.

A2. After reducing retention days the recovery points on the recovery point volume will get pruned and more free space will shown on the recovery point volume.   You can safely shrink the recovery point volume in DPM but not the replica volume.

Although not supported (it could lead to recovery point volume bloat or lost recovery points) you could incrementally shrink the replica volume using Windows disk management or diskpart.exe.

• Marked as answer by Rivers75 Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:31 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 3:41 PM
  • The only supported way is to delete the protected data, deleting all protecting points, and re-enabe protection while making shure that you calculate the proper replica size. Not very intuitive, but that's the way it is. I guess that is one of the reasons why they introduced Modern Backup Storage with DPM 2016.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 10:18 AM