none
I-beam disappears over text

Question

• Hello.  In Word, my I-beam disappears over text.  It is fine everywhere else, but over text it turns to these four teeny tiny little dots that are almost impossible to find. (MS Office Home & Student 2013/Word 2013) I have changed the cursor color and size and that only changes the arrow, which is fine.  It only happens to my I-beam.  It has only been for the past few months and i don't know why it changed, I haven't installed anything.  Please help.  Thank you so much.

Thursday, November 09, 2017 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Vanesster,

>>  In Word, my I-beam disappears over text.  It is fine everywhere else, but over text it turns to these four teeny tiny little dots that are almost impossible to find. 

By this, do you mean the issue only occurs to Word and it works fine in other applications? Or do you mean in Word, it only appears when hovering over texts?
    Can this problem be reproduced in a new created Word document?

If this is a file related issue, please remove the private information and share both the problematic file and the screenshot of your issue via OneDrive then we can take a further look at it. 

If the issue affects all documents, please try to start Word in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "winword /safe", press Enter.) and see if there will be any improvement.

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Only in Word, not any other applications when hovering over text and it happens with all documents...and after I read your reply I looked more closely and found that it is only when hovering over italicized text.  Also, it doesn't COMPLETELY disappear - when I look very, very closely I can see what looks like a very faint colon for the I-beam moving around.  Very tiny and faint but it's there.  It makes it impossible for me to type and edit when I can't see where I am in the text.

Not sure how to use the OneDrive yet, I have never used it, but I will figure it out.  Do you have any ideas without the OneDrive?  

Thank you again so much for your help.

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi Vanesster,

Thanks for the quick update.

You can also share the screenshot to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:21 AM
  • This is the example.  Thank you.
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:51 PM
  • i copied adn pasted twice and still dont see anything...see if you do.  Otherwise can you please help wtihout seeing the shot of almost nothing anyway?  ...just as you would if it completely disappeared?  How you would know then, wihtout a screen shot.  It's really confusing to follow you directions, I'm sorry.  Is there someone else who might be able to help without needing this screenshot of nothing?  Please help.
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Hi Vanesster,

Sorry that I still cannot see the screenshots. Could you please send the images to ibsofc@microsoft.com and involve the thread URL in the email message so that we can help you better?

Besides, please try to repair Office applications via Control Panel and see if we can fix the issue.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:12 AM