none
Project Server 2007 - Deliverable feature best practice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use the deliverable feature in MOPS 2007 and created deliverables using the "Manage Deliverables" menu and "Add new deliverable" on the side pane with the "Linked to selected tasks" option selected.

If I understood well, when the dates of the associated task change, the deliverable dates will not. It's by design.

I'm a little bit surprised about this choice, and I want to know what are the best practices to update the deliverables' dates in case of linked task's modification.

At the moment, the only way I found out is to edit the deliverable in Project Pro and modify the 2 dates (start and finish), and validate by clicking "done". This is a little bit cumbersome, so do you know another way to handle it?

Regards

Monday, September 6, 2010 6:30 AM

Answers

• YvesZ --

I believe that in Microsoft's view, a Deliverable represents a date that is agreed upon between the project manager and the stakeholders of the project, such as the customer for example.  When a Deliverable is attached to a task, such as a Milestone task, the Deliverable captures the Start and Finish dates of the Milestone task.  If the Milestone date slips because the project is slipping, the Deliverable does not automatically slip as well.  This is because the project manager must go back to the stakeholders and renegotiate a new date for the Deliverable.  I personally agreed with Microsoft's implementation of the Deliverables feature.

As far as the best practices for editing Deliverables, you can edit the dates in the Deliverables sidepane on the left, or you might try adding the Deliverable Start and Deliverable Finish dates in any task view and then editing those dates.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, September 6, 2010 8:10 PM