none
Bitlocker AUTO unlock second drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I have a laptop with two drives I wish to encrypt. I want to avoid having to unlock them everytime I need to access the drives.

DRIVE 1: BOOT Drive

DRIVE 2: Personal files drive.

a) How can I get the drive 2 to unlock automatically when I am logged in windows and click on it?

b) If the laptop gets stolen, how do I make sure that by doing the point "a)" the still cannot access the drive 2 by mounting it in another computer.

c) Is it possible to remove the drive 2 and connect it wto another computer? Will windows on another machine recognize the drive and ask me for the code or does it only work in the machine that encrypted it?

Friday, July 22, 2016 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

sounds more like a bitlocker question then mbam. is this a domain joined client or workgroup?

You can use autounlock setting to unlock sec. drive and if transfered to a different machine you need the recovery key to unlock the drive.

/Oliver  

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:14 AM
  • a) Encrypt the 2nd drive with the option to auto-unlock. It is offered as soon as the boot hard drive is encrypted.

b) Since auto unlock for the 2nd only works if the boot drive is encrypted, there is no danger in auto-unlock in no scenario

c) Sure. You need to set an additional password protector so that you don't need to enter the 48-digit recovery key but a password of your choice.

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:52 AM