none
Inserting Sub-projects - Need fields to align!? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a blank project file that I want to have as my project master file, and 5 other project files to use as subprojects

The 5 project files have 2 custom fields that are not importing over into the project master file.

How can I import these with all custom fields in tact?

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since you posted this question in "Project Online General Questions and Answers ", I will assume that you use Project Online.

For the custom fields to be common among several projects, they need to be enterprise custom fields. Local Custom fields are specific to each project file, and will not talk to each other.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Oops, no it's on premise Project on my PC here at work. Does your answer still apply?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:36 PM
  • As long as you are using Project Server, then it still applies.

If it is just MS Project stand-alone and not Project Server, then there is no concept of "Enterprise Custom Fields".

A possible alternative is to just maintain the fields in the Master Project and do all your reporting from there.

One other possibility is to copy the fields to Global.MPT, so that they can be available to all projects that YOU open. (not others)

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:37 PM
  • If you are using Project Client only, without Project Online or Project Server, which is a PPM server application, then you need to either copy the custom fields into your local mpt by using the organizer, which will make them available to every project you open or create, or you can copy them from one of the subprojects into the Master using the same technique, which will make them available to only the set of six projects in question.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:03 AM