none
Error 157 - Virtual Machine Somehow in 2 Protection Groups RRS feed

• Question

• I am Running DPM 2012 SP 1. I have a virtual machine that somehow ended up in 2 Protection Groups and now I cannot modify either of those protection groups. It just errors with the following error:

Removing \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\ServerX failed:

Error 157: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\ServerY cannot be added to protection because it is already a member of a protection group

ServerY is the VM that’s in 2 Protection Groups.

Please advise how I can properly get this removed from one of the protection groups.

I've tried the command shell with no luck.

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

<snip>
     that somehow ended up in 2 Protection Groups
    >snip<

Can you think of any way that you could have protected that guest twice.  DPM should prevent that from occurring, so I would be interested if you have any insight on how that happened.  Did you migrate that VM from one Hyper-V server to another using VMM ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:00 PM
  • I have the same issue.  The VM was a cluster in one protection group, then it was moved to a hyper-v host in another protection group.  When I remove either I get "Error 157: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\xxxxx cannot be added to protection because it is already a member of a protection group"

Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Hi Guys,

OK, We have had another customer call into support with the same problem.  I really don't know how this is occurring, DPM should block you from protecting a Guest twice  after being migrated to another host.  Can you provide details on exactly how the guest was moved between hyper-V hosts ?

Good news is we do have a solution, but it entails running custom SQL scripts and cannot be posted in a public forum.  Please open a support ticket tell the engineer to reference document ID 2808197.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Jon,

We're trying to reproduce this in-house, was this an upgrade or a clean installation of DPM 2012 Sp1 ?

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:34 PM
  • I'm getting the exact same issue, just been setting up a new cluster and having issues with the VSS hardware provider, but now can't do anything to the protection group!

Is it possible to private message your SQL script?

Removing \Backup Using Saved State\tomsmssrv2008 failed:
    Error 157: Backup Using Saved State\tomsmssrv2008 cannot be added to protection because it is already a member of a protection group

Steven Gill

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Im having the same problem. I have a DPM 2012 R2. When i try to delete a member of that Protection Group, the error occurs:

Removing \Backup Using Saved State\SERVER1 failed:

Error 157: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\SERVER2 cannot be added to protection because it is already a member of a protection group

Im removing, not adding. And the server2 is uniq.

Can you help me?

Thank You

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please open a support ticket tell the engineer to reference document ID 2808197.

- User action to prevent future occurances:  Enable Live migration tracking - see  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656643.aspx#BKMK_Live

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Im having the same problem in a DPM 2012 R2, can you help me?

Thank You

Joaquim Costa

Thursday, November 26, 2015 12:39 PM