PCs randomly locking up RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to investigate what might be causing random lock ups in Windows (XP & 7) but have not yet been able to shed any light on the matter.  

Here is a summary of the issue:

1) Nothing in event logs

2) I am able to ping the PC but not able to access the C$ or remotely view the services / processes

3) I can sometimes use PSKILL to kill winlogon and thus reboot the PC

This issue started to occur in XP so I believe it's an application issue but I can't track it down.  I think it may have something to do with SOPHOS antivirus but no leads there as it is the most common application in our environment.

What options do I have to be able to track the issue better?

Thanks!

Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you suspect this is an issue with the applications, you can test in clean boot mode to narrow down the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

meanwhile, I would like to confirm the true situation, do you mean your account is locked out?

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:16 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Sorry but there is no pattern to when the PC will lock up so trying to use one as a test will not yield any results.  We can't replicate the issue which is why it's so frustrating.

We are simply trying to find a way to setup a log file or do something to catch the issue before it happens and be able to actually track it.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:52 AM