none
Project Server 2007 - Security Access based on RBS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

We have an issue using the RBS functionality in the security access management. A category has been created with the "The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS" option selected.

With this setting, a manager can see projects owned by RBS descendant in the Project Center or the Project Workspaces' list. But when he clicks on the line, a new window opens, saying that he has no access to the workspace. I checked the "Advanced permissions" list on the workspace and the manager's name is not on the list.

If we don't use RBS and we select the radio button "All current and future projects in Project Server database", the manager sees the project in Project Center and Project Workspaces' list and he also has regular access to the workspace. But this setting doesn't meet our business requirements.

Best regards

Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:42 AM

Answers

• One work around would be to have the PM add the managers as a group to the
    project Resource Pool and then not assign them any tasks. Depending on how
    your security is set up, that would give them security access.

It's a bit tedious, but not a big deal of administrative overhead - especially
    as you can flag the managers by a field, and then filter on it when creating
    the project team.

Alternately, you could have the Administrator provision sites using a site
    template with security groups configured. You lose some of the ad hoc ability
    to simply create workspaces, but that's not a big deal in my opinion. Then
    when a PM creates a new project, they have to submit a request to the Admin
    to get the site created.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hello YvesZ

Did you try creating a new workspace after setting up the new category?  And did the user name show up in the permissions?

Did you try resynching the workspaces.  Under the "Server Settings", " Project Workspaces", you can select a workspace and then Resync.  Any luck using this option?

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, mCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, August 2, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Hello Micheal,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have tried both and it didn't work.

I have been told that it's a known issue of the "The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS" option... Actually, Project doesn't check Resource RBS when creating or synchronizing workspaces?

Has anyone got information about this topic?

Cheers

Yves

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:43 PM
  • One work around would be to have the PM add the managers as a group to the
    project Resource Pool and then not assign them any tasks. Depending on how
    your security is set up, that would give them security access.

It's a bit tedious, but not a big deal of administrative overhead - especially
    as you can flag the managers by a field, and then filter on it when creating
    the project team.

Alternately, you could have the Administrator provision sites using a site
    template with security groups configured. You lose some of the ad hoc ability
    to simply create workspaces, but that's not a big deal in my opinion. Then
    when a PM creates a new project, they have to submit a request to the Admin
    to get the site created.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:12 AM