Connecting Polycom CX3000 to Skype for Business Online RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently purchased a CX3000 to use with SfB online.  I am unable to complete the initial setup.  I have been doing the following:

Power up the device using PoE.

Choose Yes when asked if you have a computer available to simplify setup

Connect the phone to the usb port on laptop

Enter uername and password when prompted (in the format username@domain as we have configured with O365)

The device display then shows the following:

Contacting time server ....

Connnecting to Lync Server...

Connnecting to the domain server...

Installing certificate...

Downloading certificate...

then back to Connnecting to Lync Server...

The firmware is version 4.0.7577.4487 which supports Skype for Business online

The device has a valid ip address.

There is a firewall rule allowing outbound traffic from the device ip address on all ports.

I have run a factory reset.

Any ideas as to how to conenct this device to SfB online?

• Edited by JShilleto Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 4:03 PM

Answers

• Thank you to everyone who replied, especially the MS techs.

The actual answer is that the SfB account used needs to be licensed for Enterprise Voice.  We do not have this capability at present.  Polycom and MS should be documenting this.

• Marked as answer by JShilleto Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:45 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi JShilleto,

Does the user have a licence for Cloud PBX add-on and the PSTN Calling plan ? Also could you confirm its a CX3000 ? i think it has to be from the information above as the CX300 doesnt have POE or LPE.

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Hello Martin

Yes it is a CX3000, I have corrected the typo now.  No the user has neither the Cloud PBX add-on and the PSTN Calling plan.  I did not belive these were required, we just want to use it for VOIP calls.

JS

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Hi JS,

If its just for VOIP calls then it looks like you dont need the cloud pbx with pstn calling licence as long as your running at least 4.0.7577.4451 which you are. There is a newer release of firmware which may be worth trying if you can update the device 7577.4512

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23866

Perhaps collecting a log file from the phone may help. Some information is here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2819692

and a great tool for viewing log files 

https://ucgeek.co/2014/09/lync-phone-edition-lpe-log-viewer/

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:01 PM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Hi JSWhilleto,

Welcome to our forum.

By this issue, we suggest you contact the vendor of Polycom to get help, because this is SFB on-premise/online forum, and we don’t have resource for testing, thanks for your understanding and support.

In addition, you could refer to the following link to configure CX3000 t connect to SFB online:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2016/02/polycom-phones-with-skype-for-business-online/
    Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link. 

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.   

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by jim-xu Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:28 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:28 AM
  • One other thing to verify is the phone's time, have seen registrations failures cos of wrong time setup. 
    The time is indeed incorrect.  I will see if I can set it manually.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:51 AM
  • Hi JSWhilleto,

Welcome to our forum.

By this issue, we suggest you contact the vendor of Polycom to get help, because this is SFB on-premise/online forum, and we don’t have resource for testing, thanks for your understanding and support.

In addition, you could refer to the following link to configure CX3000 t connect to SFB online:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2016/02/polycom-phones-with-skype-for-business-online/
    Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link. 

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

This is the answer I have had from Polycom:

Polycom and other manufacturers produce these optimized for Microsoft® Lync® or Skype® for Business devices after a reference design and the embedded OS running on the phones is provided, supported and maintained by our partner Microsoft®.

You therefore may want to reach out to the Microsoft® community and / or Microsoft® support directly instead as this is the most direct and efficient path.

• Edited by JShilleto Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:08 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Hi JShilleto,

By this issue, please make sure CX3000 get the correct IP address to connect to SFB online.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

• Edited by jim-xu Friday, December 9, 2016 1:58 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:42 AM
  • Hello Jim

The device has the correct ip address and I can connect via ftp from the network.  Do you have instructions as to how you update the device when using an online version of Skype for Business?  All the documentation I have found relates to an on premise Lync server.

Also, is it possible to manually update the time?

JS

Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Deleted
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:53 PM
  • How do you do this?
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:55 PM
  • u can setup ntp server on windows machine in 10 minutes..

or as you say you are actually making the phone registered on skype online means you have online internet acces to phone, then give any NTP online server address in that 

Regards

S

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:22 AM
  • The only port open on the phone is 21.
    • Edited by JShilleto Friday, December 16, 2016 11:29 AM
    Friday, December 9, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi JShilleto,

To troubleshoot it, please make sure you could login on SFB for Windows using this account. Then double check the version of the firmware. And create a new account to have a test.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Friday, December 16, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Thanks Jim Xu but if you read the first post you will see I can login with my SfB client when prompted by the desktop client.

Anyone know how to manually update the time?  The only port open is 21.

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Hi JShilleto,

In my opinion, please update the firmware to the latest or try to use another CX3000 to check if the issue persist.

In term of updating time manually, we suggest you contact the vendor of Polycom.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Friday, December 30, 2016 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Thank you to everyone who replied, especially the MS techs.

The actual answer is that the SfB account used needs to be licensed for Enterprise Voice.  We do not have this capability at present.  Polycom and MS should be documenting this.

• Marked as answer by JShilleto Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:45 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:44 AM