none
Error Specified image file did not contain a resource section RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for some help here.  I'm using deployment workbench.

I have created a model custom image and created a custom wim file.  I have imported it into deployment workbench with source files in operating systems. 

I have created a task sequence pointing to that operating system.  When I do properties of the task then into the OS info then edit Unattend.xml, it gives me an error of "the specified image file did not contain a resource section". 

In addition, when I try to deploy this image to a computer, it fails.  I get the error:  Make sure the required files are available--setup failed to applying image \\server share...wim rc=31.  I'm wondering if this has to do with the issue above?  And not having an unattend.xml file.

I have deployed this image wim via Windows deployment services successfully.  Now I'm trying to integrate WDS with Deployment Workbench with this image wim and it fails. 

Any pointers would be great.

Rod

Friday, June 3, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• When you see this error, you need to go into the panther logs to find the real culprit. Press F8 in WinPE, and go to the right folder.

<cite>support.microsoft.com/kb/927521</cite>

Keith Garner (KeithGa.com) - Deployment Consultant - http://deployment.XtremeConsulting.com
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 3:42 AM

All replies

• Most likely the image is not correctly captured, even though it's a bit strange it does deploy fine with WDS.

If you take the default wim file (from the Windows 7 media), does it then deploy fine in your environment?

If the default wim works, create a new custom image (in a virtual machine), and try to import that, and deploy again.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hmmm...I loaded the OS from the CD media into Deployment Workbench. 

Then I tried to deploy that.  I goes through the process, but eventually gives an error and fails.

The error is:  "Windows could not apply unattend setting during pass [offlineservicing].

I did not do anything with an unattend file for the image.  I'm confused why I would get that error.  One would think it would deploy OS like it is from the CD.  Could it be failing with information I'm entering in the lite touch wizard ie: attaching to domain and etc? 

One more question.  My deployment share for the workbench is mapped to a network drive to another server--it is not on the local drive of the server due to space limitations.  Is that acceptible for the product?

Thanks for your comments.

Rod

Friday, June 3, 2011 7:45 PM
  • When you see this error, you need to go into the panther logs to find the real culprit. Press F8 in WinPE, and go to the right folder.

<cite>support.microsoft.com/kb/927521</cite>

Keith Garner (KeithGa.com) - Deployment Consultant - http://deployment.XtremeConsulting.com
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 3:42 AM
  • I know this is an old post but it's a top google result so I want to provide the correct answer.

I was able to solve this by exporting the image out of the wim file from the install media and creating the catalog files on the exported one instead.

I had the image loaded up in the WDS role console under install images. I just had to right click on it and choose export image. After that I was able to create the catalog.

• Proposed as answer by obrienw Friday, April 5, 2013 7:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:46 PM
  • You rule!
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:14 AM
  • I know this is an old post but it's a top google result so I want to provide the correct answer.

I was able to solve this by exporting the image out of the wim file from the install media and creating the catalog files on the exported one instead.

I had the image loaded up in the WDS role console under install images. I just had to right click on it and choose export image. After that I was able to create the catalog.

Spot on, worked a charm for me
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:12 PM
  • This is the correct answer ans should be marked as such 

Thank you sir!!

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Thanks !!!
    Friday, December 19, 2014 7:29 PM

Thanks a bunch. Solved it for me.

Upvoted as real answer
    Monday, February 1, 2016 4:49 PM

This worked for me too, thanks alot
    Friday, July 26, 2019 11:15 AM