• Question

• Hi,

I'm having constantly the following error with Backward Compatibility MP:

Alert: Backward Compatibility Script Error

Source: Servername.domain.local

Path: Servername.domain.local

Last modified by: Auto-resolve

Last modified time: 08-06-2011 04:00:02

Alert description: An error occurred on line 120 while executing script 'MOM Backward Compatibility Service State Monitoring Script'

Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

Description: The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: System.Mom.BackwardCompatibility.ServiceStateMonitoring

Instance name: Servername.domain.local

Instance ID: {33674654-FCAD-67BC-0263-41344F070B90}

Management group: MGM-GROUP

I've been looking for information on this error on the web, but it is not clear to me that:

- Which MP's need this

- How can I remove references to this (one quick is to disable it)

I really can't find information regarding this MP. We never had MOM 2005, so it is making me itches. 

By the way, the 120 line is empty. Above it I have:

' Submits the MOM 2005 specified event for state monitoring

Sub SubmitServiceStateEvent(ByRef SecondsElapsed, ByRef DisplayName, ByRef OldState, ByRef NewState, ByRef ShortName, ByRef StartMode, ByRef Account)

Dim oStateEvent

Set oStateEvent = ScriptContext.CreateEvent()

With oStateEvent

.EventNumber = 21207

.EventSource = "Microsoft Operations Manager"

End With

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "SecondsElapsed", SecondsElapsed)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "DisplayName", DisplayName)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "OldState", OldState)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "NewState", NewState)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "ShortName", ShortName)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "StartMode", StartMode)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "Account", Account)

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "OldStateValue", GetStateEnumValue(OldState))

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "NewStateValue", GetStateEnumValue(NewState))

Call SetServiceEventParameter(oStateEvent, DisplayName, "StartModeValue", GetStartupTypeEnumValue(StartMode))

' If there was no error setting event params, submit the event

If (Err.number = 0) Then

Call ScriptContext.Submit(oStateEvent)

End If

End Sub

What can cause this? 

Thanks in advance.

Nuno Silva
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:09 PM

Answers

• according to the error message, the computer that is being monitored agentlessly does not exist at the time this rule fires.  Typically this means that the MP has done a DNS or some other lookup and gotten back a failed resolution state.  Fixing the script is not going to help as i would posit that the configuration of a URL monitor or some other remote monitoring scenario is a host that no longer has the name it used to.
    Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Does the following thread help? It discussed a similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/1e61831d-4204-4165-a646-e976e4016b73

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:59 AM

All replies

• according to the error message, the computer that is being monitored agentlessly does not exist at the time this rule fires.  Typically this means that the MP has done a DNS or some other lookup and gotten back a failed resolution state.  Fixing the script is not going to help as i would posit that the configuration of a URL monitor or some other remote monitoring scenario is a host that no longer has the name it used to.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Does the following thread help? It discussed a similar issue:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/1e61831d-4204-4165-a646-e976e4016b73

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:59 AM
  • But Dan,

To which remote server does this message refer to?

I would like to know that, in order to check it, and correct it.

Thanks,

Nuno Silva
    Monday, June 20, 2011 2:34 PM
  • I can't tell.  You would have to look at what servers you are monitoring agentlessly, and which converted management packs you are running.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, June 20, 2011 4:15 PM