SMTP Address Re-Use RRS feed

• Question

• Pardon my ignorance a little bit.  It has been awhile since I've been an Exchange admin and now work in Security Policy writing, so I need some assistance from the experts.

Is there a way in Exchange 2003 or 2007 to set it up so that we do not re-use past smtp addresses?  Our SMTP addresses are built off of policy on new accounts.  Primary is John.Smith@MyCompany.com with several others as secondary including LANID@MyCompany.com and John.Smith@MyCompany.org etc.  So the question is, is there a way to set it up so that if John.Smith terminates from our company and 6 months later an entirely new John.Smith is hired, to set it up so that he would not receive an SMTP that has existed at any point in the last 3 years even though that SMTP is not currently in use?  I would want him to automatically be John.Smith2@MyCompany.com in this example.  If I can't do this in 2003/2007, do you know if that option is available in 2010 or 2013?  Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if there is no existing mail address exist, obviously email address policy will create the same.

May be you can create a dummy contact for John.Smith when he terminates, so that it will not be repeated. 

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Monday, February 4, 2013 2:22 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if there is no existing mail address exist, obviously email address policy will create the same.

May be you can create a dummy contact for John.Smith when he terminates, so that it will not be repeated. 

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Monday, February 4, 2013 2:22 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hi DaHart85

Did you try above?

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Hi guys,

We are having the same issue but with Exchange 2010.

Sorry to say but adding contacts is not a solution by a long shot.

Surely Exchange should be able to remember the addresses used before and only assign new unique ones.

This creates a serious risk for us due to the fact that user might resign and a new one start with the same mail address and the new one will get all of the old ones mail like possibly security sensitive data (passwords, payslips...)

We also can't rely on the old user to remember to change his/hers old email address everywhere

Mladen

Mladen Alfeldi

Monday, July 1, 2013 1:06 PM