none
Server 2016 Technical Preview -- DDI, how to get IPAM to use DNS to add Device name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am playing with IPAM in a test environment.  I got it working, its pulling in DNS zones.  I put IP Address blocks and set the reverse lookup for PTR records for the address block. My static IP addresses are getting discovered with DDI, but the hostname/device name is not resolved and added to the discovered IP.  I already have DNS A and PTR records in my DNS, but the only choice i have is to create PTR and A records thru IPAM and sync to dns servers.  Does IPAM sync the other way?  If i try to create ptr or A record for and address in IPAM, i get a message that it failed because  all mandatory DNS sycrhronization parameters are not specified.  How do I automatically resolve dns name for IP addresses discoverd.

Monday, June 13, 2016 2:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The three columns tell us the information of the synchronization between IPAM server and DNS server (or DHCP server) .

Here is the detailed guide for using IPAM :

Using the IPAM Client Console :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj878351.aspx#inventory

IPAM can sync DNS and DHCP records . The IPAM database is separate from DHCP and DNS servers on our network ,and full synchronization of hosts and IP addresses between IPAM and managed DNS or DHCP servers does not occur automatically unless we have configured automated tasks to perform this synchronization .

For detailed information ,see DNS and DHCP record synchronization chapter in the following link :

Multi-server Management :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj878329.aspx

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:23 AM
  • I want to pull DNS records into my IP address inventory.  Right now all i have is a bunch of IP address discovered that are in use.  There is not name/device name/hostname associated with it.  All of the IP addresses are in DNS. There  are A records and PTR records.  I want IPAM to pull that data into the inventory and I do not see a way to do it.  The only option i see is that i manually create a name for each ip and automatically syncs to dns. it appears one directional.  I want to sync from DNS to IPAM.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

>>I want to sync from DNS to IPAM.

Please check this similar thread,it may give you some hints:

IPAM DNS Record Synchronization

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/36b9701f-d00f-43c1-92aa-a1890cc2e583/ipam-dns-record-synchronization?forum=winserver8gen

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:52 AM