none
Windows SBS 2008 really slow to startup !

Question

• Hi all,

The server in question is really slow for some reason, when booting, it takes forever!

When I type in the admin username and password, it struggles away.

When I boot the server and go into Safe Mode, then the PC works fine, then when I say shutdown, problem returns.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

I've used the Ultimate Boot CD and done memory tests (fine!) and hard drive tests (2 hard drives in RAID, 1 drive) and they are fine.

Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The usual cause of Server 200x starting slowly is DNS.  If the network card (nic) in your SBS has a DNS entry outside your network, meaning in this case the DNS entry is not the same as the IP of the server, the server will look for the remote DNS system to orient itself and this takes a long time.  Add to that all the services that SBS starts and it does seem to take forever.

Please verify that your SBS (and every other) DNS entry points to the IP of the SBS, and then run the Wizards from the SBS Console on the network - connectivity tab.  The Fix My Network wiz should be sufficient.

If in doubt about your DNS settings, please post back the results of the command ipconfig /all > c:\iptest.txt. 

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Also, please identify your hardware configuration - amount of memory? processor(s)? are you using a hardware raid controller or a software raid controller?
    -Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:21 PM
  • And also run the Best Practice Analyzer to check if there are any issues.

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

1. What will happen if you clean boot the system?

a. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

b. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.

c. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox, and then click the "Disable All" button.

d. Click OK and restart your computer.

2. If the issue disappear in clean boot, please dig into the Event log on the server to check whether there is any related event logged.

Monday, September 06, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Have you disabled ipv6 on the network interface? This is known to cause incredible long boot times.
    Monday, September 06, 2010 2:57 PM
  • That is a good point re IPv6. Here is the blog post from the SBS team regarding this.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/10/24/issues-after-disabling-ipv6-on-your-nic-on-sbs-2008.aspx

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia
    Monday, September 06, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Hi Gentlemen,

Have seen this problem on many SBS 2008 boxes. We all know how crucial DNS is to active directory controllers and exchange servers. Problem with SBS 2008 is that AD, DNS server and Exchange are on the same box and the way the services start are rediculous and beyond control. As great as that is for the pocket technically it has many draw backs. Services need to be started in a specific order especially when TCP / IP is involved. Here is what we do to overcome the slow bootup of SBS 2008.

1. Open your "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" file. If the file does not exist create it quickly. Note that it should not have any file extension as the hosts file is not meant too.

2. In the hosts file create the following lines. Modify to suit your scenario. Please note that logically speaking we are working with SBS and this advice is not to be followed in other scenarios where we have multi server scenarios. Although there are times when we configure exchange servers this way as well and it haas proved to speed up the boot process.

x.x.x.x yourservername.yourdomain.local

In the above example replace the x.x.x.x with your SBS server internal IP. example 192.168.1.10

The yourservername.yourdomain.local should be your full server name as it is when it's joined to active directory. example: SERVER.ABC.LOCAL.

Also add the following for reinforcement. Use the same logic as above where the x.x.x.x is replaced by your sbs server address and the other information can be replaced with your specific AD settings.

x.x.x.x yourdomain.local

x.x.x.x yourservername

::1 localhost

By now your probably asking why the hell are we using the hosts file on the SBS server. Simple. The problem with slow downs in the boot process is the fact DNS is not properly started when the server boots causing the other services to drastically increase in boot time. By using the hosts file on the SBS server any services requesting the full computer name will know where to go. Hosts file is read before any DNS Server settings so once you set it you won't have a worry in the world. As with all other advice out there make sure you do the above to suit your scenario. Also make sure you have IPV6 enabled otherwise thats a total disaster!

Happy days my friends!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:29 PM
  • HI all Yesterday I was migrating physical SBS server to hyper-v machine,  sbs was very very slow in term of startup, on physical machine it starting about 45 minutes, after migration to virtual machine it was about 17-20 minutes on powerfulll gen8 HP server.

Everytime I migrate P2V Im cleaning obsolete ghost devices in devmgmt console. So I was very suprised that i found that there was about 7600!!! obsolete ghosted devices half was microsoft hyper-v scsi controller a second half was msft virtual disk SCSI disk device.

I think that this occur because of some bug in SBS backup which creating bunch of virtual disk devices when running backup and system stores this in database. On this machine backup runs for about 5 years every day 3 times per day to usb external disk, so i think this mess was caused by SBS backup. After I clean up this mess with ghostbuster http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com/ system networking is up and runnig in 1 minute, and complete startup is reduced to about 3 minutes. System response is much better after this task.

So my advice to not use SBS backup which constantly slowing down entire SBS system, better to backup vhd files when run in virtual environment, or use some more sofisticated backup solution or time to time delete obsolete devices from device database. 

So I hope i was help someone.

Good Luck :)

• Edited by OOSOO Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:37 PM mistake
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:35 PM