Tablet PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a problem with my pen. After booting the machine, it takes around a minute until the pen works. Rather annoying.

Any idea?

My system:

Betriebssystemname Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Systemmodell TravelMate C210
    Systemtyp X86-basierter PC
    Prozessor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1666 Mhz
    BIOS-Version/-Datum Acer v0.3109, 13.09.2006
    SMBIOS-Version 2.4
    Windows-Verzeichnis C:\WINDOWS
    Systemverzeichnis C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Startgerät \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Gebietsschema Deutschland
    Hardwareabstraktionsebene Version = "5.1.2600.2765 (xpsp.050928-1517)"

Zeitzone Westeuropäische Normalzeit
    Gesamter realer Speicher 1.536,00 MB
    Verfügbarer realer Speicher 988,38 MB
    Gesamter virtueller Speicher 2,00 GB
    Verfügbarer virtueller Speicher 1,96 GB
    Größe der Auslagerungsdatei 2,85 GB
    Auslagerungsdatei C:\pagefile.sys

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We have done a local test. The pen for Gateway M280 indeed failed to work after installing SteadyState.

We also test another model: Toshiba M400. The pen for this model failed to work either after installing SteadyState. But the pen worked once we turn wdp on. 

From the test, it is still a incompatibility issue between the pen driver and steadystate service. Currently there is no workaround yet. However, if there is any progress on this, we will post here as soon as possible.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

did the problem occur after the installation of Steadystate? Please let me know more details.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:49 AM
  • I've noticed that my pen on my tablet PC has stopped all together.  I am about 95% sure it happened after I installed SteadyState.  I contacted another tech that I work with and his tablet PC pen has stopped working as well.  Let me know of any info that you need to help resolve this problem.  The pen does not work in the admin profile or the locked/unlocked "public" profile.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 3:47 PM
  •  groovete wrote:
    Hi

I have a problem with my pen. After booting the machine, it takes around a minute until the pen works. Rather annoying.

Any idea?

My system:

Betriebssystemname Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Systemmodell TravelMate C210
    Systemtyp X86-basierter PC
    BIOS-Version/-Datum Acer v0.3109, 13.09.2006
    SMBIOS-Version 2.4
    Windows-Verzeichnis C:\WINDOWS
    Systemverzeichnis C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Startgerät \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Gebietsschema Deutschland
    Hardwareabstraktionsebene Version = "5.1.2600.2765 (xpsp.050928-1517)"

Zeitzone Westeuropäische Normalzeit
    Gesamter realer Speicher 1.536,00 MB
    Verfügbarer realer Speicher 988,38 MB
    Gesamter virtueller Speicher 2,00 GB
    Verfügbarer virtueller Speicher 1,96 GB
    Größe der Auslagerungsdatei 2,85 GB
    Auslagerungsdatei C:\pagefile.sys

Hi,

According to the problem description, it seems that SteadyState caused some confliction with the pen. To isolate the root cause, I would like to collect the following information:

1.     Can this issue be reproduced?

2.     Does the pen work if you uninstall SteadyState?

3.     Does the pen encounter problems again if you reinstall SteadyState?

4.     What is the exact model of your Tablet PC and pen?

5.     Does this problem exist in a Clean Boot environment? For how to do a clean boot, please refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

6.     Please perform the following steps to collect the MPS Report(Setup Version) of the TabletPC:

a.       The setup version MPS tool can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

b.      The log is written to a cab file under: %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab

You can upload the .cab file to the workspace below.

---------

(Please choose "Standard" when uploading files.) :

Workspace: https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=29c3671e-1e5a-49ac-95ac-f7baf6db1f24 )
    Password: NrggrN8_euBBh]z

7.     Also, please check whether you hit the problem described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

The movement of the pointer does not match the movement of the stylus pen in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;926411)

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:29 AM
  • Sammy,

I can tell you that this problem can be duplicated.  There are 4 of us techs that have the same tablet PCs.  Two of us installed SteadyState to get ready to deploy it.  The pen stopped working after we installed SteadyState.  The pen started working again after uninstalling and rebooting.  I have not tried a clean boot yet, but I will try and see if I get a chance today.  I am using a Gateway M280 tablet PC.  Running Windows XP SP2 Tablet edition.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Sammy,

I did a clean boot and I was able to use the pen.  I then ran the MPS Report tool and uploaded the CAB file.  Hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear the pen works after a clean boot. Since a clean boot will prevent third party services from starting up, it can be concluded now that the issue is most likely to be related to certain third party software. Based on the current situation, we can try the following steps to narrow down the troublesome service or startup items.

Action Plan

---------

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig to open System Configuration Utility

2 In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup

3.Clear those check boxes: “ Process SYSTEM.INI File”, ”Process WIN.INI File” and “Load Startup Items”

4.Click the Services tab, make sure you select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box

5.For those services shown, you can enable those services one by one or half by half(select half services at one time) to pinpoint the troublesome services.

6.If all the services shown in step5 works fine with the pen, click General tab->Selected Startup->select “Load Startup Items” , then locate the troublesome startup item by testing those startup items shown in the Startup tab one by one or half by half.

For more information on using msconfig for troubleshooting, please refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 1:44 PM
  • I will give it a try, but the thing that puzzles me is that it works fine until I load SteadyState.  The pen will not work while SteadyState is loaded.  I can't even use the onscreen keyboard to type in a username and password at Windows login.  I uninstall it and all is good again.  I did a clean boot (as you suggested) and it works.  Hiding all of Microsoft's Services and just leaving third part services unloaded ... seems to me like SteadyState is loading something that is not listed in the Microsoft Services...you see what I mean?  I will post back what I find when I try the third party services.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:42 PM
  • Ok that was a short test.  The Windows SteadyState Service is NOT hidden when you select Hide Microsoft Services under MSCONFIG.  Matter of fact it list the Manufactuer as Unknown.  I left all of the third party services checked EXCEPT for the Windows Steady State Service and my pen worked fine.  When I let the Windows Steady State Service load, pen is back down again.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Anything else I can try?
    Friday, July 6, 2007 10:30 PM
  • The SteadyState Service seems to be in conflict with the Gateway M280 tablet pen. We are currently working on this issue and will update here as soon as there is new progress.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Thanks Sammy!
    Monday, July 9, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

We have done a local test. The pen for Gateway M280 indeed failed to work after installing SteadyState.

We also test another model: Toshiba M400. The pen for this model failed to work either after installing SteadyState. But the pen worked once we turn wdp on. 

From the test, it is still a incompatibility issue between the pen driver and steadystate service. Currently there is no workaround yet. However, if there is any progress on this, we will post here as soon as possible.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Does the pen start working after you log in and get to the desktop?  We suspect that the delay that causes slow logins after booting the machine may also be preventing the pen service from working until the delay is over.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Nope, the pen is totally disabled while the login screen is on and after I have already logged in and the desktop loaded.  Stopping only the Windows Steady State Service restores the pen.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Nope the pen will not work at all when the Windows SteadyState  service is being loaded.  Even after a minute or two it will not work.  If I stop the service from starting using MSCONFIG everything is fine.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:45 PM
  •  groovete wrote:
    Hi

Hi, I think I was too unpatient, after waiting around a minute at the login screen the pen works. Anyway rather annoying. Is there a solution?

Hi Customer,

According to your description, the pen starts to work after about 1 minute. This problem may have the same root cause as the slow logon issue. When a computer with SteadyState installed starts up, the following events must occur:

1. WMI initializes

2. SCTSvc starts

3. Log on and display of the desktop completes

As a result, the computer may seem slow to startup and the services that the pen depends on may be delayed to start up. Currently, the slow start up issue is a known problem in SteadyState. If we have any updates, we will post in this forum as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Laura Zhang

Microsoft Online Community

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:27 AM
  •  East-TN NSC wrote:
    Nope, the pen is totally disabled while the login screen is on and after I have already logged in and the desktop loaded.  Stopping only the Windows Steady State Service restores the pen.

Hi Customer,

Yes, we have reproduced this issue on our side. The pen of Gateway M280 does not work after SteadyState is installed. As Sammy mentioned, we suspected that there were some compatibility issue between the FinePoint pen and SteadyState.

We have also tested this issue on our latest build. Fortunately, it is not reproduced in the newest build. I think that this issue should go away when we release the new version. Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Laura Zhang

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:28 AM
  •  East-TN NSC wrote:
    Nope the pen will not work at all when the Windows SteadyState  service is being loaded.  Even after a minute or two it will not work.  If I stop the service from starting using MSCONFIG everything is fine.

Hi Customer,

I am sorry that my previous replies are not clear enough. Actually the TabletPC issue may have different root causes:

- Slow startup of SteadyState service

- Compatibility issues with some models of TabletPC

The problem that "groovete" described may be caused by the first factor. Your problem may be caused by the second factor. As my previous reply did not specifically point out the audience, you may be confused. I am sorry for the inconvenience. I just modified the reply to include a quotation to the original problem description. Hopefully it is clear this time.  

Best Regards,

Laura Zhang

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:38 AM
  • We currently have 20 Gateway M285e laptops that are due for deployment this week  We just started seeing the problems with the pen and have traced it to Steady State as well.  If steady state is running, sometimes everything is fine, sometimes the pen will not work athe welcome screen, but works once the user is logged in, and other times it will not work at all.  It varies from machine to machine and from boot to boot. It is completely erratic and we have been unable to establish any pattern.  All of the machines are imaged from one image, an then the steady state user settings were saved and copied from one machine to the next - so they should be consistent - yet the prolem is not.

At any rate - is there any estimated time frame on the "next build" that appeas to not be causing these problems?  We would prefer to not have to find another solution - so if we can limp these along until then... maybe this is an option.

THanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:53 PM
  •  

Hi Customer,

Unfortunately, the release date for the new version has not been finalized. If we have any updates, we will post here as soon as possible.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:22 AM
  • Do you have any updates for either possible work-arounds or when the new version will be released (or if its available in beta).  I just was setting up several new Tablet PCs and encountered this problem.

Josh

Monday, September 10, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I just got a feedback from our product group. This problem will be fixed in SteadyState V2.5 which will be released next year. I regret to say the current version (2.0) will not be updated. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:41 AM
  • I dont know if people are still having problems with this issue, however i have a customer who is having a problem.  I seem to have created a work around by disabling the SteadyState service from starting and creating a run file to start the service.  This seems to be working for them.  I will include what i wrote up.  Let me know if this helps anyone.

Here is how it work. 

First you need to go into the services and turn the Windows SteadyState Service to “Manual”

Logged in as an administrator right click on My Computer and select manage.  On the bottom of the manage screen you will see “Services and Applications”. Under that you will see “Services”  highlight services and scroll down the list until you find the one called “Windows SteadyState”.  Double click on that service to open it.  Click the button that says “Stop” this will stop the service.  Then there is a scroll box with three options. “Automatic”, “Manual”, “Disabled” set this to manual and click ok.

Next open up notepad and type in the following command without parentheses (NET START “Windows SteadyState”) (note you need the quotes around Windows SteadyState.) Save this file under the root of the C: drive as steadstart.bat.  make sure you change the box from .txt to all types so that it doesn’t save as a text file.

Next go to start > run and type in REGEDIT.  Under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.  Right click on right side of the screen and click new > string value

Name the string SteadyState and double click on it.  Enter in the box C:\steadstart.bat

Now restart the computer. 
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:00 PM