none
Downloading Files When Clicking Open or Save Nothing Happens RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I work as part of a IT team within a organization that has 200+ Windows 8.1 devices, recently we have been experiencing a problem when downloading files using Internet Explorer 11.

You click the file to download (word document,PDF etc) and you get the yellow bar at the bottom asking you to open save etc but when you select any of the options nothing happens and this is becoming increasingly more common.

I cant believe we are the only people to have this issue but i have searched and cant find any answers.

I hope somebody can help us.

Thanks,

Friday, December 19, 2014 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Bristow2013,

What is the download link, could you please share it and allow me to have a test?

The download option works at my side(Checked with downloading applications),  please take a look at the View Downloads under Tools at the right-up corner of Internet Explorer, or tap Ctrl + J, check and see if the downloads is available there.

Further, also check the add-ons in Internet Explorer, more information, please see:

Download files from the web

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 22, 2014 7:40 AM

All replies

• Does the behavior persist when using an alternate browser (e.g., Firefox; Chrome) to download the files?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Hi Bristow2013,

What is the download link, could you please share it and allow me to have a test?

The download option works at my side(Checked with downloading applications),  please take a look at the View Downloads under Tools at the right-up corner of Internet Explorer, or tap Ctrl + J, check and see if the downloads is available there.

Further, also check the add-ons in Internet Explorer, more information, please see:

Download files from the web

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 22, 2014 7:40 AM
  • Hi Guys

Sorry for the late response, I've been on paternity :-)

Unfortunately I'm unable to provide a link as its on a internal intranet site, If you press CTRL+J to view downloads its blank as it hasn't got that far yet.

I'm still getting lots of users complain about this, if they use an alternative browser(firefox) the problem doesn't occur. I have tried resetting IE settings but hasn't made any difference, if i delete the users citrix profile and start from a fresh it works for a time and then reverts back, almost as if something becomes corrupt.

Any ideas?

As you can see from the image, tried to download a file from the microsoft site, click open/save/cancel and nothing happens.

• Edited by Bristow2013 Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:22 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:50 AM
  • As you can see from the image, tried to download a file from the microsoft site, click open/save/cancel and nothing happens.

What about the Save down arrow?  Do you see a menu?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:26 PM
    Answerer
  • If you click the arrow it shows you the save as option, but again if you click this nothing happens.
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:32 PM
  • Hello,

1. Reset your internet browser delete all add-ons,

2. if you get still same problem then open your command prompt run as administrator 

type this command :  net user administrator /active:yes

log off your computer and login with administrator account i hope here you would be download any thing that you want.... if you able to download then create new user account and transfer all profile data old profile to new profile..

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:56 PM
  • This did not work.
    Monday, February 2, 2015 8:59 AM
  • Having the same issue here. Any luck? 

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Managed to solve a similar issue by disabling and re-enabling IE from Windows features.

In my case the Open button was not working but the rest were working normally.

• Proposed as answer by MrFrostyEST Monday, September 24, 2018 9:53 AM
    Monday, September 24, 2018 9:52 AM
  • I am having the same issue as Bristow; did the reset of the IE windows features; restarted the PC. Issue still persist.

• Edited by Paly 21 Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:40 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:21 PM