Get the error saying "The operation failed" when saving email to the network using Win 7 and Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• An employee has an issue where he saves email to a network folder then (he is doing this because he wants to save certain emails that correspond with Word and Excel documents that he has saved on the network) he gets intermittent occurrences of a message saying “The operation failed”.  He will keep getting the message until the file finally saves.  Had  him try saving the files with the outlook  message format extension instead of html.  Happens less frequently but still it happens.  Since he and I are using Win 7, I tried saving emails to the network.  Same thing happens to me.  It’s hit or miss, sometimes they save fine on the first go around, other times, the message pops up may be 2 or 3 times before the file saves.  Checked on the internet and found that there are people out there having the same issue.  Not very many but there are a few.  No one has a resolution for this issue.  I tried repairing the ost and removing and re-creating the email account. Still the same thing happens.  Found a “fix” for the issue where the registry is edited by going to HKCU\software\microsoft\office\12.0\word\options, adding a dword: disablerobustifiedunc with a value of 1.  I tried this on my PC and for a couple of days I did not get the message.  So I made the change to the employee’s PC, but that same day he received the errors a couple of times and still gets them today.  I suspect that if I were saving emails to the network as frequently as he, I would still get the messages as well.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:55 PM

Answers

• It may be a compatibility issue. How does it work if you use Office 2010? The trail version can be downloaded from:

Office - Microsoft Office 

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum  
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, October 4, 2010 6:52 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 7:45 AM