XP installation error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i am trying to install windows XP pro on my dell inspiron 1545. (currently has vista) I am not new to computers and ive installed XP dozens of times. I get to the part where it starts loading files and then should bring me to the Windows installation screen where i can delete my old partition. Instead i get a blue screen error "STOP: 0x0000007B" blah blah blah. I ran a hardware test to see if there was something wrong with the laptop itself. Passed the test, there were no problems found. Which means my problem is completely software related. I've ran virus scans and all that stuff and found nothing. Can anyone help me or give me a place to troubleshoot this error? I dont have the extra money to send it in, especially when i should be able to fix this myself.. Thanks!
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:15 PM

Answers

• STOP: 0x0000007B is one of the most common errors received when installing Windows of any version.  Were you to do a quick internet search, you would have discovered this error is telling you the boot device inaccessible and that you need to either change your SATA from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS, OR, you need to download the XP SATA driver from the Dell Support website and put it on a floppy disk and use the F6 option to provide the storage drive for your system.

See the Microsoft KB article @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 for this error.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Rick Dee Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by omgmypcsux Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:32 PM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:04 PM

All replies

• STOP: 0x0000007B is one of the most common errors received when installing Windows of any version.  Were you to do a quick internet search, you would have discovered this error is telling you the boot device inaccessible and that you need to either change your SATA from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS, OR, you need to download the XP SATA driver from the Dell Support website and put it on a floppy disk and use the F6 option to provide the storage drive for your system.

See the Microsoft KB article @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 for this error.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Rick Dee Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by omgmypcsux Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:32 PM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:04 PM
  • is there any possibility i could do this on a flash drive or any sort of other external storage? I dont own any floppy disks and my laptop most certainly does not have a floppy port
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:32 PM
  • also i dont know enough to know how to change my SATA from AHCI to IDE i would probably destroy my system trying.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:46 PM
  • i found this guide http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271218-switch-ahci-ide-tutorial-howto.html

if i follow this guide and switch to IDE and i am still not able to install windows with my disc, i will be screwed huh? I mean, everything i read said when u switch from AHCI to IDE you must reinstall windows. Is this correct? Should i refrain from attempting this?

Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:52 PM
  • It is unusual for a system to not boot after switching from AHCI to IDE in the BIOS because IDE is the default for the storage controller.  Sometimes you might need a brand specific driver for best performance, but usually the default generic will work.

Just the reverse if you want to switch from IDE to AHCI, but, it can be done if you make a registry change and have the AHCI drivers handy.  See info @ http://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-guide-how-to-change-from-ide-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows

Unfortunately you must have a floppy drive when installing XP if you need to provide storage drivers.  With Vista or Win 7 you can use several alternate methods including a USB stick.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Wow thanks i was able to switch to IDE and XP installation went nicely. Thanks a lot for your help!
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:34 PM