using RRAS to allow internet access to internalmachines and also external machines to be able to connect with them. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a lab setup. the configuration is as follows.

DC server 2016 192.18.0.1

ADC server 2016 192.168.0.2

exchange server 2016 192.168.0.3

second exchange server 2016 192.168.0.4

forest name abc.local

another forest XYZ.local

DC server 2019 10.10.10.1

ADC server 2019 10.10.10.2

Exchange server 2019 10.10.10.3

Router (workgroup) server 2019

RRAS role installed three network cards added.

ABC network card 192.168.0.8
    XYZ network card 10.10.10.8
    Host network card 192.168.1.7 (this IP is assigned directly from netgear router that i have)

issue is i did the conditional forwards between ABC and XYZ forest and made the IP of RRAS router machine the default gateway for all machines with their respective subnets. Example ABC card in router machine has IP of 192.168.0.8 so this becomes default gateway for all machines in ABC forest, and IP 10.10.10.8 which is IP for second network adapter in router machine for XYZ card i made this as default gateway for machine sin XYZ forest. So ping is happening between both the forests successfully. 

Now the third card which is the INTERNET card that i added to the router machine that give sit internet access. i configured with RRAS so all the machines in the respective forest should have internet access as well. 

But here comes the problem as my host machine is windows 10 in which i have all this virtual environment set up. i was wondering if my host machine could ping the respective virtual machines inside. As my host machine has IP assigned 192.168.1.5 which is assigned by NETGEAR router as well. Now point to be noted from my host machine windows 10 i am able to ping all the three IPs of router which is ABC card 192.168.0.8 as well as XYZ card 10.10.10.8 as well as external (internet) card which is 192.168.1.7. But i cannot ping any VMs of any forest through my host machine. Also the strange point my VMs are able to ping my host machine successfully and are also able to access internet. 

i have done the RRAS configuration as follows. 

One windows 7 sample machine in ABC forest configuration 

Successfully pinging to google.com

Sample Machine configuration in XYZ forest

Successfully pinging to google.com

Router Machine configuration all three network cards

ABC card

XYZ card

router RRAS machine also able to ping google.com successfully

Host Windows 10 machine where all my VMs are residing configuration

able to ping google.com

But not able to ping DC in ABC forest neither any machine in ABC forest

same condition for XYZ forest as well 

But able to ping router machine IP address which is 192.168.1.7

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

(could not upload more than 9 images if any other information requited please contact )

Sorabh awaray

Friday, August 2, 2019 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you check the routes on the RRAS server.

Please use command ping IP -S IP  to check the routing. For example, ping 192.168.0.8 -S 10.10.10.0.

I think the server lacks a routing between 192.168.0.8 and 10.10.10.8.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 19, 2019 5:53 AM