App-V 5.1 HF9 / COM Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When i publish a package with the default COM mode or "Isolated" mode with in/out proc disabled, it adds registry key on the system in HKCR. One key (RICHTXT32.ocx) is causing me trouble with other applications.

Why App-V is that intrusive? Isn't it supposed to be isolated by default? With App-V 4, i did not had this problem.

Thank you.

Monday, July 16, 2018 1:00 PM

All replies

• With COM mode set to isolated, App-V still does some com virtualization (with guid spoofing). Does setting com mode to "off" make any difference?

Roy Essers

Monday, July 16, 2018 10:12 PM
  • Some of the additional extensions will cause COM publishing to occur.  Examples include shell extensions and browser helper objects, which are integrations that start from outside of the bubble.  

You would need to locate the extension that uses that COM object and eliminate it from the extension.  This would involve manipulating the AppXManifest file.  

Either the AppXManifest editor tool or TMEdit tool would allow you to do this.  These tools are up on TMurgent.com (one of which is free).

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:28 PM
  • I think Roy is right, as long as COM mode is set to isolated, it won't integrate with system at all, anyone outside of the bubble should not see these keys in HKCR which is a combination view of HKLM / HKCU classIDs, can you figured out where is it from HKCU or HKLM? 
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:52 PM