Changing Group Structure RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

I have "inherited" the WSUS server on our Production network.

In regards to the existing group structure, I would like to delete them and start all over with new groups that better mirror our updated network structure.

As I understand, if I delete the existing groups, all computers will go into the Unassigned group, and I would basically have to re-create new groups and then re-assign the computers to each respective group.

Is this correct? If so, are there any pitfalls I should be concerned with?

Thank you in advance.

• Edited by MichaelPal Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:55 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:55 PM

All replies

• As I understand, if I delete the existing groups, all computers will go into the Unassigned group, and I would basically have to re-create new groups and then re-assign the computers to each respective group.

Hi Michael,

As you said, after deleting the existing computer group, the client will exist in the "Unassigned Computers" group. You can then re-create the computers according to your needs and manually adjust the client access to these computer groups.

Related considerations, I think there are:

1. When deleting an existing group, select "Remove the computers from this group" to ensure that the client only removes the group.

2. Check the configuration of group source in WSUS console> Options> Computers:

When configured as "Use the Update Servers console", you can manually group clients in the WSUS console.
      When configured to "Use Group Policy or registry settings on computers", you cannot manually group clients in the WSUS console. The grouping logic will be determined according to the group policy or local client [Enable client-side targeting] applied by the client.

3. If the WSUS server you intend to operate is a downstream replica server of another WSUS server, then group adjustment is not possible. Consider adjusting to an autonomous downstream server, or an independent upstream server.

Only these suggestions come to mind for the time being.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 17, 2020 3:04 AM
  • Thank you so much for your response.

We will be implementing this change in the near future on our production environment, but will try this out on our Test environment.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:38 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.
    Any progress is welcome to continue discussions.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 1:23 AM