none
MDT2013 - Capturing and Deploying Multiple Partitions RRS feed

• Question

• I have read many of the threads regarding MDT and capturing/deploying multiple partitions.  However my situation seems unique compared to many that I have read.  I am running MDT 2013 w/ ADK8.1 on my WIN7server, booting computers through PXE using TFTP64 (work location OS restraints).  Everything works in regards to capturing and deploying OS's, the issue arises when a machine i'm capturing has two partitions.  I was able to capture the D: onto the C: using a previously posted task sequence command line addition with includes the command line:   %TOOLROOT%\imagex.exe /capture D: C:\DriveD.wim "Drive D"     (with minor editing for myself)

This command works successfully when placed right before the Create WIM task sequence, creating the DriveD.wim (second partition) on the C: (primary boot partition).  My issue is applying the DriveD.wim when the Task Sequence OS deployment is ran.  I've attempted running another code using the task sequence command line addition with includes the command line:    %TOOLROOT%\imagex.exe /apply "C:\DriveD.wim" "Drive D" D:            And am getting the error "Cannot find file specified..."  On boot up after restarting the computer, i have a drive C: and drive D: (format and partition task sequence is ran towards the beginning of the task sequence creating 50% of HDD space to primary boot (C:) and 100% of remaining to primary (D:)...(approximately 100GB per partition.)      I would rather not adjust the code in the actual MDT files, rather just use a command line code if possible.  Only two of the 8 computers I image have a secondary partition as part of their baseline.

Would someone please assist me with this issue?

Thank you, Evan

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:29 PM

Answers

• I can't tell what the root of the problem is.

Is "can not find file specificed.." error because it can't find imagex.exe or because it can't find c:\drived.wim?

Speficially *where* is this error coming from? did it come from imagex.exe or from some other source?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Evan.M Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Evan.M Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Well i figured it out, even the smallest things are humbling.  Turns out when MDT is working with multiple partitions, they're not given Drive Letters starting from A, B, C, D, etc in the normal sequential order.  After receiving the failed deployment screen, in the command prompt, the current working directory is X:.  I then started trying different directories to find out which directory my OS was installed on.(cd C:, cd D:, cd E:, etc...)

My previous C: Was actually on V: and my previous D: was actually on C:, after the restart, the drive letters align correctly, so you wouldn't know it without actually going in through the command prompt.  After setting the "Install Operating System" sequence in the task sequence to install on C:, it is was the issue of determining what drive letter that was being assigned for my D:.  V: was the letter being assigned (why Microsoft has it do this, i have no idea....), so I then changed my script to incorporate V: instead of D: and task completed successfully.  I now have my C: and D: duplication needed.

So the results of the scripts needed for my scenario are:

%TOOLROOT%\imagex.exe /capture D: "C:\DriveD.wim" "Drive D" (to capture the second partitions data prior to creation of the WIM.)

%TOOLROOT%\imagex.exe /apply "C:\DriveD.wim" "Drive D" V: (to apply the second partitions data to the second partition, after the Install OS task sequence.)

And Keith, thank you for your help, your question actually lead me to dig deeper into certain aspects of the problem to resolve it.

Thank you, Evan

• Marked as answer by Evan.M Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:10 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:10 PM

All replies

• I can't tell what the root of the problem is.

Is "can not find file specificed.." error because it can't find imagex.exe or because it can't find c:\drived.wim?

Speficially *where* is this error coming from? did it come from imagex.exe or from some other source?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Evan.M Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Evan.M Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Keith,

From the information I could see, I couldn't tell, I've attached a portion of the smsts.log file that had to deal with my apply command line sequence.  I've been trying different variations assuming it cannot find the imagex.exe file, but I may be on the wrong track.

Thank you, Evan

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Well i figured it out, even the smallest things are humbling.  Turns out when MDT is working with multiple partitions, they're not given Drive Letters starting from A, B, C, D, etc in the normal sequential order.  After receiving the failed deployment screen, in the command prompt, the current working directory is X:.  I then started trying different directories to find out which directory my OS was installed on.(cd C:, cd D:, cd E:, etc...)

My previous C: Was actually on V: and my previous D: was actually on C:, after the restart, the drive letters align correctly, so you wouldn't know it without actually going in through the command prompt.  After setting the "Install Operating System" sequence in the task sequence to install on C:, it is was the issue of determining what drive letter that was being assigned for my D:.  V: was the letter being assigned (why Microsoft has it do this, i have no idea....), so I then changed my script to incorporate V: instead of D: and task completed successfully.  I now have my C: and D: duplication needed.

So the results of the scripts needed for my scenario are:

%TOOLROOT%\imagex.exe /capture D: "C:\DriveD.wim" "Drive D" (to capture the second partitions data prior to creation of the WIM.)

%TOOLROOT%\imagex.exe /apply "C:\DriveD.wim" "Drive D" V: (to apply the second partitions data to the second partition, after the Install OS task sequence.)

And Keith, thank you for your help, your question actually lead me to dig deeper into certain aspects of the problem to resolve it.

Thank you, Evan

• Marked as answer by Evan.M Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:10 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:10 PM