none
Running Project Server 2013 over a WAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have currentlt deployed a Project Server 2013 server in our head office. I have people in a remote office access this server and will need them to store documents in the projects site. The documents could reach anywhere up to 100meg, but typically the largest ongoing large working document might be 20meg.

I hve started investigating ways that I can improve their performance. I have been referring to this document.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/B/F/5BF9613E-9433-4D9F-8510-C94091514128/global-solutions-SharePoint-2013.pdf

I guess my situation is the first top portion of the document.

I have tried the following so far and would liek to understand how some of the other options will help me.

1. Branche Cache (It downloads files the first time, and then caches them for additional users users the second time around) This does not help me when a user opens a document then saves it, the full file is then copied back to the central server. Basically it is a one way solution.

2. WAN optimisation - After the files has been seen the first time by the WAN optimisation it is then very quick to open, save, save as a new file name. The only problem is that the first pass is as slow (or a little faster) than the speed of the actual WAN link.

The document talks aboit client side solutions:

1. Mobile views

2. Office Web Apps

3. Sharepoint workspace for Widnows Phone

4. SkyDrive Pro

How can these help me to allow my clients to experience a faster first time file uploads and downloads from the centrally located Project server?

Projects managers in our organisation would be assisgned a new project and then would need to upload new documents related to that projects and continually work with them day to day. They could vary in size.

I would like to keep the single site deployment if there is a way to increase the speed of first time file uploads.

What are my options?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:48 PM

Answers

• he would access the site or directly the document library on the site if you provide the link and choose "link to skydrive" in the ribbon.

Then he just gives a name for the local folder and can start saving documents there.

Just test it :-)

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

• Marked as answer by cdmit2010 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:19 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi

SkyDrive Pro will synchronize selectable document libraries to a local folder on the workstations. You save existing and new documents to this folder and the documents are synchronized back in the background, so the user will normally not really notice it.
    It works quite ok as far as I tested it myself until now. I am not sure if it really works good, of you have to create new documents from templates bound to content types and things like that.

If you have really large documents the user experience might be much better, if the users use a Terminal Server environment located next to the Project Server system.

But of course that depends on the effective speed of the WAN links.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Thanks for the response Christopher,

Just thinking how we would work SkyDrive into our project management creation / startup.

Generally a PM requests for a project to be greated in project server, a new site / workspace is created for them to manage using out of box project server, site template defaults. We then send them an email advising that the new project site is ready for use.

What would the PM need to do next to link their newly created project to SkyDrive pro? I really want to make their experience simple with as few manual steps required as possible.

Thanks for the assistance.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:02 PM
  • he would access the site or directly the document library on the site if you provide the link and choose "link to skydrive" in the ribbon.

Then he just gives a name for the local folder and can start saving documents there.

Just test it :-)

Regards

Christoph

• Marked as answer by cdmit2010 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:19 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Thanks Christoph will do.
    • Edited by cdmit2010 Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:19 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Works well on windows 8!! I think think may be the solution.

One question, where can I download Skydrive pro for Windows 7? Or does it come bundled with Office 2013?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi Christoph,

One thing I have noticed with SkyDrive pro is that when you are offline and you open a document, then try to save it, even though the document is showing offline it still attempts to save the file up to the sharepoint site.

This causes a long delay when saving.

It would be better if it saved the file locally and then in the background tried to check when the server comes back online and sync.

I think this is how the personal version of skydrive works. Not sure why skydrive pro wants to save back to the server even though it's tell you that the server is unavailable. Strange!

Do you know if this is normal or if there is a way to change the functionality?

It would make the offline user experience seem more responsive!

Additionally it would even make the online user experience seem quicker, as the user would save locally and allow them to move on to the next thing they want to do, all the while skydrive is completing the sync in the background over the wan to the server.

Thanks.

• Edited by cdmit2010 Friday, January 18, 2013 1:46 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

yes, it tries for a few seconds if it can reach SharePoint or not. There seems to be no configuration at all for SkyDrive Pro, so I do not think this can be changed somehow.

Regards

Christoph

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hope your situation is better than ours. What we have recently noticed is that latency is poison to project server and latency is what you have in a WAN environment despite good bandwidth.

For those struggling with the same situation, here are some old recommendations I found: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/wide-area-networks-HA001165285.aspx

• Edited by Devdumper Monday, September 15, 2014 2:00 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Hi Devdumper

that article applies to Project Server 2003. With that it was horrible to work with the Project Professional Client, because there was no Cache on the Client side (ok, the Cache has its own problems, but for the WAN issue it was a huge step Forward). Second Problem was that the Project Professional Client connected directly to the SQL database....

But Terminal Server (Remote Desktop) might still be the best solution in cases of low bandwiths. High latency of course will still decrease the fun.....

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:42 PM