none
Summarize only filtered sub-tasks RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get the summary tasks to only summarize sub-tasks that have been filtered?

e.g. Typical project divided into OPEX and CAPEX. When I filter only for CAPEX allocated tasks, the Summary tasks  summarize ALL costs (including CAPEX and OPEX). I am hoping I can filter the tasks and then I can see the parent Summaries  sumarrizing only CAPEX costs, and when viewing Task Usage, see summaries over time only of CAPEX costs.

Thank you in advance.  Rachel.

• Edited by RachelML Friday, November 17, 2017 8:37 PM
    Friday, November 17, 2017 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Rachel,

I don't think that's possible using standard summary tasks, but you can do it using Group by summaries.

1. In the Data group of the View tab, create a new Group-by specification for CAPEX/OPEX.  E.g. if you are using the Text1 field to tag tasks as CAPEX or OPEX, then the first level of your group specification will be Text1.

2. With the Task Usage view active in the TOP PANE, apply the new group-by specification.  OPEX and CAPEX will be segregated and summarized in the usage table.

Good luck, tom

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:08 PM
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Thank you Tom,

I have done this and it is most helpful in providing a single total of, in this case, CAPEX vs OPEX.  

As my project has many sub tasks and Sub-Sub tasks (600+ tasks on 7 levels) I am hoping to be able to get the summary tasks to only total the cost values of the displayed/filtered tasks.  Copying values to Excel and doing this task there is a pain.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:32 PM
  • You must have a custom field that identifies opex v capex, so the next thing to do is to create two new custom Task Cost fields with a formula like this. This way, you can set the rollups however you like and they's apply to every filter you use as long as you add them to your views. 

IIf([Custom Field]="CAPEX",[cost],0)

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:49 PM
  • Rachel,

I haven't tested this much, but you might try the following:

1. Add a second layer to the Group-by specification for "Outline Number".

2. Adjust your Outline settings on the View ribbon to get the view you want.

Gary, your suggestion to use custom fields is the standard (and fairly elementary) approach.  I had discarded it because I considered it non-responsive to Rachel's fundamental objective - to see the results summarized over time in a usage table.  Have a missed a recent development allowing custom fields to exist as time-phased data?

Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:15 PM
  • You are quite right Tom.  I am looking to have the summaries calculate totals on the task usage as the project progresses over the next 18 months.  I have detailed audit reports to submit and thus the need for granularity.

Many thanks to all for the assistance.  Rachel.

Monday, November 27, 2017 8:32 PM