Can't send mail externally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

I've just setup my first Exchange server, and to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing! Saying that, I've managed to get the Outlook Anywhere bit working, setup an account and can receive mail from internet and external addresses.

I can send e-mail internally, but can't externally. Not cos I'm getting an error message or anything, but just because I don't know what I'm doing!

What do I need/have to do to send e-mails externally? I thought I needed SMTP running, but Exchange said "Must not have SMTP installed" when I installed it. I've been playing with "Send Conectors", which I assume is the right bit of Exchange I should be messing with? I don't really know what to put for the FQDN. servername.localdomain or servername.internetdomain or neither of them? I assume I put my internet domain name in the "Address Space" tab? And on the "Source Server" tab, I just put the name of my exchange server.

Oh, one other thing I'd like to ask. Would my local and internet domain names have to be the same? Because at the moment my local domain is TD.BMACC and my internet domain is drewwalters.co.uk.

As you can see, I really don't have a clue and hope some of you guys can help me out, or point me in the right direction for some good Exchange 2007 resources/guides.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:49 PM

Answers

• You need to create a SMTP sendocnnector.

in the address space, enter address that this connector can send mail to, most likely this will be * for sending to Internet. This is not your SMTP domain name.

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:55 AM

All replies

• You need to create a SMTP sendocnnector.

in the address space, enter address that this connector can send mail to, most likely this will be * for sending to Internet. This is not your SMTP domain name.

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:55 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Lasse Pettersson!

Seems so obvious now! It worked a treat, thanks Smile

Friday, August 24, 2007 9:17 AM