BUG: Vanishing sidebar gadgets, general sidebar lockup RRS feed

• Question

• Occasionally I will start up and one or more gadgets will simply not be there. There will often be a vacant space where the gadget used to be, so that all the other surrounding gadgets are in their allocated "slot" but the affected gadget is simply not present.

Right clicking and selecting "gadgets" achieves nothing, the gadget menu simply does not open at all.
    Now here is the funny part. If I select "View List of Running Gadgets" command, I will get a list of the running gadgets, with the missing ones clearly not present. So seemingly they just failed to load.

Until recently only a reboot would solve this, as I was effectively blocked from accessing the gadgets menu. But I discovered that if I did Right Click>View>Show Desktop Gadgets (to hide them) then repeated to show them again, they would all come back and I would once again have access to the Right Click>Gadgets

Additionally, on Vista the gadgets were really smooth and would float around when you moved them, make way for eachother so you could drag them up and down and have them automatically slotted in among the rest. In Windows 7100rc though, they are really clunky. They will not move out of the way for eachother, and will overlap if you try to drag them up and down. Is this deliberate?
    Monday, July 13, 2009 2:17 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue, with a minor variation. Had a BSD and when it rebooted, I lost 2 of 5 gadgets (moon phase, and whift calendar). three others  remain with no problem. When I click on gadgets in the start menu or with a right click on the sesk top, i get no response.

Tried the above tip with no response and no change that wasn't supposed to happen.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:13 PM