Not waking from hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• Computer with Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Intel Z170 motherboard, Core i5-6500  Skylake CPU, 16 GB RAM, booting from a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB, to Windows 10 Pro 64bit which should be up to date, 650W power supply which should be compatible with hibernate supply, a number of hard disks, etc.

At first had problems with it waking from hibernate but that seemed to sort itself maybe with one of the Win10 updates and ran just fine, waking with no problems. Now has gone back to not waking from hibernate.

USB keyboard and mouse, set to allow waking system. Fast start turned off (if turned on no change). If sleep or hibernate is done for short time seems to come back as expected. It is when a longer time hibernating and power light goes off on computer that it won't wake but goes to the proverbial black screen. Any suggestions how to cure?

• Edited by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:05 AM Correct spelling in title
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• OK, system has been able to wake properly a number of times now. What has changed and why it is now working I don't fully know. Processor power management is now set to minimum 3% instead of 2%. Fast Startup is turned Off. Reinstalling the "Intel(R) Management Engine Software(100 Series)" might have helped. Video driver does not seem to be causing the problems here.

Frustrating but hopefully solved for me.

For anyone else would suggest make sure the items planed on being used to wake system stay active like USB keyboard, mouse. Maybe increase minimum system power by a percent or so. Make sure the management engine software is installed.

Thanks MeipoXu and others for sticking through this thread.

• Marked as answer by Charles UK Friday, March 18, 2016 9:40 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 9:40 PM

All replies

• Remove the current driver via Device Manager and install the latest driver available, either through the website of the graphic card manufacturer or through Windows Update.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:00 AM
  • Thanks, but which drivers? Disk? or just randomly all that I can find updates for? I think I did this before and got it back to working by uploading motherboard drivers not the newer Microsoft one. Will try.

Charles

Monday, February 22, 2016 5:38 PM
  • As suggested by S.Sengupta, it could be the Video driver. The machine could be starting but the video driver might be crashing and leave the screen black.

So, I would first look and see if the machine is starting and running but has a black screen (meaning video driver) or if it isn't even starting at all.

Monday, February 22, 2016 6:34 PM
  • The video is from the i5 CPU not a separate GUE so an update may have broken it I guess but would have thought this should by now be reasonably stable. Will try if I can get to the machine tonight or sometime tomorrow.
    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:26 PM
  • I know on desktops that the power light should blink intermittently when in hibernate mode and should not turn all the way off something is causing your computer to fully shutdown after you hibernate

have you check your GPEDIT settings for shutdown options they may have been turned on

win key + r type GPEDIT.msc 

fastboot key is basically hibernate  needs to be ON or enabled

this also could result from a failing power supply also with out no power conditioning equipment Brown Outs will burning the crap out of a power supply SAY example A UPS with voltage regulation plugging a desktop into the wall socket with out one will cause that because the power lines fluctuate all day long and Really gets bad During PEEK power Times say from 10:00am to 7:00pm

smell your power supply and see if it smells like burnt electronics on the inside any where if so time for a new one

and while you are there buy a POWER conditioning UPS also

Power voltage Spikes Will Burn A power Supply Up Quick

consult the mobo web site to see what the power light is supposed to do in hibernate mode most the ones I had blinked while in s4 or s5 modes

also what kind of video card do you have NVidia or AMD or intel

bad power supply on any NVidia rig will cause all kinds of weird problems ATI may also have that to

anything over the latest greatest GeForce they really recommend 1000 watts or better

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Hi Charles UK,

The main issue is that the machine won`t wake from the hibernate, right? Are there any related error messages recorded in the Event Viewer?

"Now has gone back to not waking from hibernate."
    Considering it works for a while, we could try to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point if it is possible.

The similar issue is usually related to specific device driver, we could refer to the following steps to have a troubleshoot.
    1. Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Power
    2.It is recommended to download the latest Windows 10 compatible drivers for your devices from the device manufacturer website manually. Especially for the video card and the network adapter. Untick all the powersaving feature of all the devices` properties from the device manager.
    3.Run "powercfg –devicequery  wake_armed" to list the devices that are currently configured to wake the computer from any sleep state.
    4.Open a command line and run "powercfg -h off" to disable hibernate feature. Then delete "C:\hiberfil.sys"files (hidden, untick "hide system protected files" option). Run "powercfg -h on" to re-enable the hibernate feature.
    5.If the issue persists, run "powercfg /energy" to get a energy report for more information to troubleshoot this issue. Pay attention to the errors.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:53 AM
  • Sorry, I've not been able to get back to that computer in the past few days. I know that it had the problem before and I think fixed by running the older (not all that old) motherboard drivers but thought they should still be in place. Need to check that when I can get access to it, and also do some of the other suggested changes.

Tedious of course as need a few hours for it each time. Power supply and other hardware shouldn't be a problem, all still relatively new and otherwise working just fine.

Thanks for suggestions. Hopefully I will get access in the next day or two.

Charles

Friday, February 26, 2016 5:29 PM
  • Hi Charles UK,

"and I think fixed by running the older (not all that old) motherboard drivers"
    We could try to download several driver versions from the device manufacturer website to have a test.
    If the previous version will work well, we could refer to the following link to disable the driver update temporarily.
    How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

We are looking forward to your good news.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Always frustrations when testing intermittent faults :-). Checked state of video driver Intel dated 13/08/2015 version 10.18.15.4274, that it was current but didn't do any changes. Left it for 12 on hibernate and  come on up as it should.  No other changes as hadn't had time to do anything else.

Charles

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:27 AM
  • Finely have been able to return to the suspect PC, had been left in hibernate for over 24 hours. Came up with the hardware booting, then a flash of the Windows logo and circling dots then black screen. I.E. problem still present, not yet solved but haven't been able to yet do all the suggested fixes.

This is Windos 10 Pro, version 1411, OS build 10586.122 so latest with improvements to the hibernate.
    • Edited by Charles UK Sunday, March 6, 2016 1:44 PM
    Sunday, March 6, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Hi Charles UK,

Have you checked my original post to have a troubleshoot?
    As I stated before, the similar issue is usually related to specific driver. We could check the update history for driver update. Try to download different versions from the device manufacturer website.

In addition, the energy report may be useful to troubleshoot this issue.

Best regards

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:27 AM
  • I was able to gain access to the computer last night and was able to reinstall the old original video driver. Left machine on hibernate for much of 24 hours and it came up out of hibernate correctly. The driver is Intel Corporation with driver date: 13/08/2015 and version 10.18.15.4274 as it was before. So maybe something other than video driver has changed to bring it back to working or maybe one of its many subcomponents.

So from the Sunday black screen to working big question. I did also run the "Intel(R) Management Engine Software(100 Series)" Version:11.0.0.1162 again. This is supposedly needed for drivers to work correctly, but I'm not sure where or what it ends up doing. This was run when also re-ran the Video driver install (which didn't change the date or version).

Oh, MeipoXu had suggested the various commands to run to learn the status of some of the system, ran but didn't persist (folder immediately closed) so couldn't see.

ErickySoft.Inc suggested fastboot key needed to be on. On other machine found it could be either way with hibernate working fine. On the problem machine when it worked this time it was off.  My understanding is that hibernate writes the running state to disk, then puts CPU is a very low energy using state (0.06W or so) and specific things like USB or Lan can be left active on CPU to wake it and read the stored info. 

Important for me as I can be in the middle of something then get call away which needs immediate response and can be away for minutes to hours. Some programs like some databases, spreadsheets don't like the computer turned off without closing them :-(   Hibernate when working works with these applications.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:02 AM
  • Hi Charles UK,

"Left machine on hibernate for much of 24 hours and it came up out of hibernate correctly. The driver is Intel Corporation with driver date: 13/08/2015 and version 10.18.15.4274 as it was before"

So the previous version will work well?

We could refer to the following link to disable the driver update temporarily. At the same time, you may need to report the issue to the device manufacturer support.
    How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Best regards

Thursday, March 10, 2016 1:33 AM
  • I don't think the Video drive has actually changed this whole time, at least it comes up with same date and version number even after reinstalling.

Left overnight again, didn't come up. This may have been a red herring - not actually the cause. It did have a Windows update so might have been a problem. Did have the FastBoot on so have turned off again and will wait and see.

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:16 PM
  • OK, system has been able to wake properly a number of times now. What has changed and why it is now working I don't fully know. Processor power management is now set to minimum 3% instead of 2%. Fast Startup is turned Off. Reinstalling the "Intel(R) Management Engine Software(100 Series)" might have helped. Video driver does not seem to be causing the problems here.

Frustrating but hopefully solved for me.

For anyone else would suggest make sure the items planed on being used to wake system stay active like USB keyboard, mouse. Maybe increase minimum system power by a percent or so. Make sure the management engine software is installed.

Thanks MeipoXu and others for sticking through this thread.

• Marked as answer by Charles UK Friday, March 18, 2016 9:40 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 9:40 PM