none
Upgraded system to SSD, but system was shipped from Dell with RAID 1 and single drive; questions about change to AHCI RRS feed

• Question

• A company I do work for had a system come in configured with a single drive, and the BIOS was configured with RAID. The system was upgraded to a Samsung SSD, but the Samsung Magician software commented drive was not set for AHCI. A quick change in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI mode led to no problems on reboot. Will this cause any problems in the future? I'm not sure why Dell shipped this system with RAID configured and not a second drive, but performance testing with Magician had 3 categories within 5% of the max performance and one around 10%. Thanks
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi baskervi,

The question is whether you purchased the computer this way or if you set it up to be in RAID. Typically, when I see a single SSD in RAID mode it happens in Ultrabooks where RAID mode is required to meet the qualifications. Are you experiencing performance problems now?

You can easily test the change if you want. Go in the BIOS and change the SATA mode. See if Windows boots. If not, change it back to RAID. However, if it does boot in AHCI mode, if you have any Ultrabook related software installed, they may stop working properly.

If you determine that RAID is not required, you may need to enable the AHCI drivers for the system to boot successfully once the mode is changed.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:40 AM